The Issaquah High Times

Homecoming Dance

HOMECOMING 2018: Bright lights bathe dancing students in a pink glow at Issaquah High’s out of this world homecoming dance.

Connor McKee-Sargent

Connor McKee-Sargent

Kaitlin D'Souza, Staff Writer

Issaquah High held its annual homecoming dance on Sept. 29 from 8:30 to 11:00 p.m. in the school commons. The ASB class stayed late on Friday night to decorate the gym with paper lanterns and stars in alliance with the dance’s theme, Out of This World. Small, silver confetti stars decorated blue, plastic-colored tables set in the lower commons by the gym.

DJ Marquee, official DJ for the Chicago Bulls was in charge of music for the night. Senior Yotam Govrin says, “I always tried to avoid homecoming because of the loud music, amount of people, and rave-like nature.” However he also says he had “a blast talking to friends and seeing people in an environment other than at a regular school day.”

The Snap Bar has more than 450 photos of the night on their website of students decked out in their best with bright and silly props. There were also professional photos available in the gym for purchase with glimmering starry backgrounds to go with the theme.

Closer to the end of the dance, confetti, water, and laughter accompanied hitting turbulence, an Issaquah High tradition. Senior Kavya Kangesh calls it “simply satisfying.” She says, “Turbulence makes everyone excited and pumped up for that beat drop. Hitting turbulence makes…everyone full of joy, easily becoming the highlight of the night.”

Steen Heninger won a dance off facilitated by DJ Marquee. Contestants had to qualify in their respective lunches on Friday to be eligible to participate at the dance. The winner received concert tickets to see Jay-Z and Beyonce at Century Link this Thursday.

The snack table served as a refuge for students to escape the sweaty dance floor. Junior Ethan Fryer says, “I appreciated Bykonen…as water provider.” However, with thirty minutes left of the dance, the snack table ran out of bottled water leaving students to drink from the water fountain. At the end of the night, the only cookies left at the snack table were the oatmeal raisin.