Phones Versus Computers

CHOOSING WISELY: Senior Nikolis Moffet showing his phone. “I believe we should because though a phone is accessible, it is not as user friendly as a computer,” says Moffet.

Cecilia Bailey

Cecilia Bailey, Staff Writer

It is the 21st century. We still know the benefits of computers, but we are more inclined to use phones now. What we should use in the classroom is up for debate: bright new phones, or the veteran computer? Then again, it depends what you are doing.

We know all about the technology these days and the various options, which also include iPads and other tablets, along with laptops. Issaquah High School is also aware of this technology and takes advantage of having them in almost every classroom. They are indeed extremely helpful, in virtually every subject (even in math).

With phones in our hands that can do almost anything we ask, it is easy to disregard the computers. Why would you need them for internet when the phone can do that? We can use phones for typing essays and researching ideas. Sophomore Charlie Paxson adds, “I use [my phone] to check Skyward sometimes, too.” Phones are almost limitless, and for schoolwork, the phone can basically replace the computer if needed.

So if phones could possibly take the spot of our computer labs and laptop carts, and even the iPads, the questions I am asking, is why do we still have them? They are close to invisible in the eyes of some, who utilize their own phones and laptops from home for any online work. Senior Alexia Brown says she brings her laptop because “it makes it easier to follow Powerpoints.” Junior Trinity Young brings her own because, “Some of the classes don’t have access to a laptop.” Having your own laptop makes it so you do not have to email anything to yourself, or save anything on your file. You can have it whenever and wherever, so if a laptop cart is not available, you still have one. Freshman Emily Palm says, “I do after school activities, and if there is no laptop cart, I like to use my laptop and not my phone.”

The reason students do not bring a laptop, though, is because they are provided by the school, so there would be no point to bring it. It would be like bringing a textbook that is already waiting for you, and not many are keen on bringing extra weight. Junior Jack Warren says, “we are given everything in classes, so there is no reason to [bring] it.”

Phones are also easier to use, and a time saver. Sophomore Andres Meza says, “You don’t have to log onto your phone.” Logging on to computers do take a significant more time than just clicking a button on the phone, considering the time it takes to load.

To have the phone take over though, and to no longer use laptop carts, would cause issues, such as not everyone owning a phone, or one that has all the capabilities such as the iPhone or Samsung. Palm says, “I feel like they should continue to purchase the new laptops in case you forget your phone, and some people don’t have them.” Also, to use the hand-held device all the time would probably cause headaches, and sore thumbs for larger essays or projects. Junior Hunter Wray says, “The screen is too small, so I like to use computers or iPads if they are available.” Senior Nikolis Moffet says, “I believe we should because though a phone is accessible, it is not as user friendly as a computer.” For the quick stuff, a phone is more useful, but no one wants to do a research paper on that small of a screen and keyboard. Freshman Anthony Moritz says, “I would choose [my laptop] over my phone, unless I was googling something really quickly.”

Another problem, is that phones can also be a distraction. Moffet says, “It is mostly when it becomes a distraction that it becomes an issue.” More often than not, they become an issue.  The internet is easily accessible, so one could use it for school work, or look up whatever they want and forget what they were even doing in the first place. Social media is also swallowing up the free time of every citizen, along with the time that should be dedicated to other tasks that need to be done. Even when they are banned in one classroom, students still pull them out. So taking them out of the entire school and having them stay out sounds unlikely. Phones have also not been prohibited these days because of those with medical problems such as allergies or diabetes. It is a way of getting a hold of someone if something goes wrong. So basically, phones are still praised for their original purpose: communication.

That does not mean we cannot use phones for other purposes now that they have evolved so much, but in reality, they cannot replace the computer, at least not in school. Both have many great uses, but I think we need both. I really would not want to write this whole article on my phone, even if the screen did get bigger from the last generation.