Athletic Hall of Fame

Mackenzie Crandall, Sophie Kirkegaard, & Abi Lee, Copy Editors, Staff Writer

Baseball: Jared Jongejan

Baseball athlete Jared Jongejan has been a starter for two years at IHS. He is a great player and has a passion for the sport. Varsity baseball coach Rob Reese says, “He is the best pitcher in King-Co this year, and has led us to the State tournament. He is a great teammate and is the heart of our team.”

Boys’ Basketball: Joseph Jensen

Joey Jensen has played in the Issaquah basketball program all four years of high school and has grown as a player each year. Issaquah High School’s athletic director Luke Ande says, “Joey’s work ethic showed every day in the drills we did and as a result paid off with success on the basketball court.” His leadership showed each day through the example he set. He was known to show up to practice every day with a positive attitude and the drive to get better. Jensen was awarded second team All-KingCo during the 2017-2018 season.

Girls’ Basketball: Mackenzie Day

Mackenzie Day has been involved with the Issaquah girls’ basketball team since her freshman year. Her contributions to the program have not gone unnoticed and Coach Jacqueline Bykonen says, “She worked extremely hard in practices and games, and was a great example for younger players in the program.” Day was a dedicated teammate and her positive attitude was constant encouragement to those around her. Bykonen says, “I want to thank her for her leadership, enthusiasm, and determination.”

Cheer: Jessica Lilly

Cheerleader Jessica Lilly has been on the Issaquah Cheer Squad for the last two years. Coach Laura Couty says, “Her energy and joy were infectious to those she cheered with and to the fans in the stands.” An essential part of the team, and with a passion for the sport, Lilly is an amazing leader for Issaquah High School.

Boys’ Cross Country: Luke George

Luke George has been a varsity cross country runner for four years. He punched his ticket to the State meet every season from freshman to senior year and received All-State honors his senior year. George is known for his enthusiasm and work ethic. Coach Gwen Robertson says, “His ‘bring it on’ attitude is contagious. Always at his best when the stakes are the highest is a trait that will enable him to be successful at the next level.” George will bring his talent to the University of Oklahoma cross country and track teams next year.

Girls’ Cross Country: Samantha Corman

Sami Corman has been a top runner on the girls’ cross country team since her freshman year of high school. She has helped the team make four trips to the State Championships during her time on the team and stood on the podium for her individual finishes at the State meet all four years. Coach Gwen Robertson says, “[Sami] is always one to step and lead. Sami has helped the younger runners with her encouragement and knowledge.” Corman will continue to run cross country and track at Georgetown next year.

Dance Team: Lilyann Vu

Lily has been a dedicated member of the Issaquah High Dance Team for four years. Her senior year she served as Co-Captain. She played an active role in leading the team to qualify for the WIAA State Dance Championships. According to Coach Melanie Krieger, “She has a passion for dance, and works hard to keep the team motivated and driven towards improvement.” The Dance Team will miss her.

Fastpitch: Athena Benjamin

Fastpitch star Athena Benjamin has been playing softball at Issaquah for all of her four years at IHS. She was team captain for two years, ran little league clinics outside of school, and was first baseman on a team that won 19 games. Coach Ron Hatlen says, “Athena is a great student athlete and all the girls and coaching staff respect her playing ability and attitude.”

Football: Glen Findlay

Athlete Glenn Findlay is a hard worker and a dedicated player, on and off the field. Coach Buddy Bland says, “Findlay is an excellent role model as he makes the often tough decision to live a high character and moral life.” Whether the occasion be in a game, or in a classroom, Findlay always gives it his best.

Boys’ Golf – Cole Chase

Cole Chase has been a four year varsity golf team athlete as a member of the KingCo record low team score his freshman year shooting a 1 under par 35. According to Coach Tom Bakamus, “Cole was captain his senior year and instrumental in the success we had with his knowledge on and off the course in helping his teammates. He will be participating in the State tournament this year as the KingCo #1 seed after posting a 2 round total of 7 under par, which also earned him1st team All KingCo honors.”

Girls’ Golf – Meghana Raman

Meg Raman has been an invaluable member of the girls’ golf team since her freshman year. Along with being team captain, Raman was also a first team All KingCo member her senior year and a state competitor all four years of high school. According to Coach Tom Bakamus, “[Meg is] well respected throughout the league by players and coaches [and] an asset to the program; [she] will be hard to replace.”

Gymnastics: Kensington Wall

Kensington Wall is a two time state qualifier, part of the KingCo and district teams, and an amazing team captain for her senior year. Gymnastics coach Ryan Fleisher says, “It has been a joy to watch Kensie grow as a gymnast and as a person.”

Boys’ Soccer: Joseph Underwood

Joey Underwood has helped escalate the Issaquah boys’ soccer program the past four years. As a captain, Underwood possessed the leadership needed to carry his team to the KingCo finals. Throughout the season, he scored 19 goals securing the top spot in the league, as well as earning the KingCo offensive MVP award and first team all-KingCo honors. Coach Kyle Tatro says, “Joey is a tremendous threat to opposing defense this season… he helped carry his team to new offensive heights.”

Girls’ Soccer: Catherine Nelson

Catey Nelson has been on a varsity starter on the soccer team since her freshman year. Coach Tom Bunnell describes Catey as “a humble person who is fierce on the field.” She led the team to two State Championships in her four years and was honored with all-league and all-state awards during her career. Bunnell says, “Catey will leave the school and the program as a true legend of Issaquah High School girls’ soccer!”

Boys’ Swim – Graham Wrightson

Graham Wrightson was a four year swim and dive athlete and captain his senior year. According to Coach Laura Holter, “Graham was an awesome silent leader as captain his senior year. He qualified for KingCo, Districts, and State all four years and helped lead his team to top five at state all four years. He was always a team player and was willing to do whatever was needed for the team. His biggest claim to fame is his ability to blow bubble rings! He will always be remembered for this skill!”

Girls’ Swim – Isabelle Gonzales

Izzy Gonzales was a four year swim and dive athlete as well as captain her senior year. According to Coach Laura Halter, “Izzy was an amazing athlete and team mate, she was an excellent captain, and was always loved and admired by her teammates, competitors, and coaches. She was a KingCo, Districts, and State competitor all four years and she will truly be missed next year!”

Boys’ Tennis – Jun Yong (Jake) Jung

Jake Jung was captain of the boys’ tennis team his senior year and largely contributed to the team’s success. According to Coach Patrick Nam, “The players respected his leadership role on the team and set a great example for others to follow. This year Issaquah won its very first league title for boys’ tennis and Jake clinched the title in the deciding match of the final match of the season over Skyline. He definitely went out in style.”

Girls’ Tennis – Emily Kim

With an impressive personal singles record of 9-2, senior Emily Kim has been an important member of the girls’ tennis team. According to Coach Amy Huish, “Emily is as extremely talented player, her sportsmanship is exemplary and she even though she was not a captain she was a great leader on our team. She was a support to her teammates during their matches and she consistently strived in practice to improve and during match play she was focused and made intelligent choices.”

Boys’ Track & Field: Joseph Jensen

Joey Jensen has been an integral part of the Issaquah boys’ track team over his four years. He has made multiple trips to State in the shot put and discus. Most recently, he placed first in State in the shot put and discus and broke the Issaquah High School records in both throws. Coach Jerry Loveless says, “[Joey] is an unquestioned leader who is incredibly generous with his time when teammates and coaches need help, his positive attitude is infectious.” Jensen will continue to throw at Washington State University next year.

Girls’ Track & Field: Elise Burdette

Elise Burdette is a standout on the Issaquah girls’ track team. She has been a top competitor in multiple events at the State Championship each year of high school and helped her team win two State titles. Not only are her running accomplishments notable, but her leadership and positive attitude do not go unnoticed. Coach Tracy Silva says, “[Elise] always offers encouraging words and expertise to her teammates, making them feel valued…She holds herself to high standards and is a true role model to many athletes on the team.” Burdette will continue her track career at Cornell next year.

Volleyball: Claire Siefkes

Volleyball player Claire Siefkes has been on the KingCo volleyball team three times, and also broke records in the Issaquah volleyball program by getting voted as MVP for three consecutive seasons. Varsity volleyball coach Amanda Sewell says, “Siefkes is a dedicated student who works hard to excel in both the classroom and the court, all while being funny, goofy, and confident in who she is.”

Wrestling: Kaleb Solusod

Kaleb Solusod is captain of the wrestling team and goes above and beyond in both academics and athletics. Wrestling Coach Scott Hamilton says, “Kaleb Solusod is an outstanding young man that defines the characteristics and qualities associated with high academic achievement and outstanding athletics.”