Issaquah Varsity Football Beats Newport in Double Overtime

EXCITING WIN The Issaquah High School Varsity Football team won their game last Friday against Newport High School in double overtime. The game has people cheering as loud as they could with a final score of 32-26.

Savannah Wood, Copy Editor

In an exciting game last Friday, Sept., 28th, the Issaquah High School Varsity football team beat Newport High School in the annual homecoming game. Freshman Sarah Burke says, “It was an unexpected win!” and was excited that her team had emerged victorious. In the first several minutes of the game, junior Isaac Pak ran the ball three yards for a touchdown. Unfortunately the field goal was missed, making the score 0-6, Issaquah. In the second quarter, junior Gaje Gunter completed a 24 yard pass thrown by senior Trevor Morine, with a successful kick by sophomore Arpan Kundu, making the score 13-0. With two and a half minutes left to go in the second quarter, Newport scored a touchdown with a seven yard run and completed a field goal, making the score 13-7, Issaquah.

Half time included a special performance by Issaquah’s marching band, the Issaquah Dance team, and Cheer team. Homecoming royalty was also announced and each grade level’s homecoming court took a lap around the track on the back of a pickup truck. To open the second half of the game, numerous fireworks were launched as the crowd cheered for the third quarter.

Newport made a touchdown with nine minutes left in the third quarter, but missed the field goal, tying the score at 13-13. Several minutes later, Newport scored an additional touchdown with a successful field goal. In the fourth quarter, senior Diego Dorta completed a five yard pass from Trevor Morine. With a perfect field goal by Arpan Kundu, the score was tied 20-20 with the conclusion of the fourth quarter.

Going into overtime, the crowd was going wild. Diego Dorta completed a 26 yard pass from Trevor Morine, with a failed kick, making the score 26-20. Newport soon made another touchdown, but the kick was blocked, making the score 26-26. Going into double overtime, people were cheering as loud as possible when junior Ryan Baker completed a 14 yard pass from Trevor Morine, winning the game for Issaquah, with a final score of 32-26. Diego Dorta explained, “It was a good team win, we fought until the very end, no matter how tired we were in the double over time.” In the days following the game, Coach Buddy Bland said, “I’m proud of the players for continuing to fight and battle through every obstacle that was presented to them.”

Go Issaquah!