Issaquah’s JV Boys’ Soccer Wins Against Bothell

May Nguyen, Staff Writer

On April 18, Issaquah’s JV Boys’ Soccer Team secured a 2-1 win against Bothell, thus continuing their winning streak for the sixth game in a row. However, the match result was one they had to earn as the first half of the game was scoreless. The start was scrappy until both teams found their pace to settle down. Issaquah managed to earn corners and shooting opportunities but ultimately failed to finish their chances. Their goalkeeper, senior Ethan Liang, and the put-together defense played a part in the team pulling through until the second half. When sophomore Nick Games found the Eagle’s first goals at the 54th minute, team morale and momentum pushed for a second goal two minutes later by junior Roshy Rajesh, adding to his initial assist on the first goal. The period that had the crowd of parents and students on the edge of the seat was definitely the last five minutes. Back and forth scuffling had everyone wondering how the game would end but Issaquah managed to hang on to their lead for the win.

The team was ultimately happy about the result; however, they wanted to improve and play better in the moment and in future games. Rajesh says, “The first half was not great, but I got some good stats in the second half, however the overall performance could have been better.” Junior Cyrus Nikzad agrees with that sentiment for the team, saying, “There were mistakes, but at the end of the day we pulled the result. It was not the best we could do but it did end with a win.”  He adds that the team would continue working on showing discipline in transition with switching from attack and defense along with passing. Coach Bruno Ponce also expresses his hope to push his players to reach their full potential. He shares, “The expectation is always very high with this team. We are undefeated in the league and coming off a nice away win against Eastlake where we played well. I have high standards for the guys since the program is in a good state, so historically we always have to keep energized around this time.” Hopefully we will see more of what the team can do!

While there are no more home games this season, you can find the JV team for their next away game at Newport on Friday April 21 to show your support. Go Eagles!