Human Cloning: The Solution Humanity Needs, or The Root of Their Problems?

Riya Dasgupta, Staff Writer

“Sometime, somewhere, someone will generate a cloned human being.”  — Ronald Green for Scientific American, 1999

Human cloning is the process of creating a genetically identical copy of a person. While the technology to clone animals has been around for decades, the possibility of cloning humans has only recently become a realistic possibility. As a result, the topic of human cloning has generated a great deal of controversy and debate, with valid arguments on both sides.

Some of the potential pros of human cloning include medical treatments, personalized medicine, agricultural benefits, conservation bonuses, and research contributions.

Cloning could potentially be used to create replacement organs for people who are in need of transplants. This could alleviate the shortage of organs available for transplantation and could potentially save countless lives.

Cloning could potentially be used to create personalized medical treatments for individuals based on their specific genetic makeup. This could allow for more effective and targeted treatments for a wide range of medical conditions.

Cloning could be used to create genetically identical animals for agricultural purposes. This could increase the efficiency of animal production and reduce the environmental impact of farming, with more “grown in lab” animals.

BioExplorer states that as “organisms in the planet approach endangerment and extinction, cloning appears to be a possible solution to restore populations.” With cloning, we could bring back so many extinct species, from dinosaurs to the dodo bird. Sophomore Sophia Wei says that “if we could bring back all the species humanity has killed, along with the ones gone before us, it would be one of the greatest scientific advancements in the world.”

Cloning could be used in scientific research to better understand genetics and the underlying causes of certain diseases and conditions.

On the other hand, there are also a number of potential risks and concerns associated with human cloning, including ethical and moral issues, loss of individuality, health risks, social and psychological impacts, and legal and regulatory issues.

One of the main concerns surrounding human cloning is the ethical and moral implications. Some argue that cloning humans goes against natural order and could lead to a devaluation of human life. In addition, there are concerns about the potential for creating “designer babies,” or for cloning to be used for nefarious purposes. Junior Nicholas Adams says that “there are many people and countries, including parts of the U.S., that would be glad to have this technology for all the wrong reasons. We do not want to make another weapon or threat that can be used against others, especially when we already have so many in the world.”

Another concern is that human cloning could result in a loss of individuality and uniqueness, as people could be “replaced” through the use of cloning technology.

There is also a risk of health problems arising from the cloning process, either in the clones themselves or in the children that they may have.

Cloning could also have social and psychological impacts, such as raising questions about identity and family relationships. This could lead to deplorable impacts on mental health.

There are also a number of legal and regulatory issues that would need to be addressed if human cloning were to be legalized. This could include questions about the rights of clones, the ownership of genetic material, and the potential for abuse of the technology. Sciencing states that “human cloning could be a violation of the clone’s individual human rights.”

The opinions of students are equally mixed. Senior Kylie Hill states that she “is not for human cloning, mainly because of the risk of the loss of individuality. There are certain medical applications, but they are overlooked by how severe the consequences of human cloning could be. There are some steps humanity should just not be allowed to take.” However, other students, such as freshman Nathan Adams, feel much better about the possibilities of human cloning, stating that “if scientists are careful enough, I feel cloning would be a great advancement for humanity.”

It is worth noting that human cloning is currently illegal in many countries around the world, and the international community has not reached a consensus on whether it should be legalized. Some argue that human cloning should be allowed under certain circumstances, such as for medical purposes, while others believe that it should be banned entirely due to the ethical and moral concerns surrounding it. Berkeley says that “cloning humans could lead to serious violations of human rights as well as human dignity, and it is up to authorities, laws and institutions to make sure to protect cloned individuals from being exploited.”

The issue of human cloning is a complex one that requires careful consideration. Ultimately, the decision to legalize human cloning will depend on the values and priorities of society. The decision will be up to us to decide whether the potential benefits of human cloning outweigh the risks and concerns.