Boys JV Tennis Maintains Winning Streak

Jack Horton, Staff Writer

Overall, Issaquah scored extremely well against Redmond with the matches being solid Issaquah victories. The players seemed really into the game both before and after, though some went home many stayed even after their match was over to play unofficial matches. In terms of what comes next, everyone can expect that JV will play against Skyline and Newport as away games. All of those interviewed seemed confident to triumph against Skyline and to, despite much resistance, hold their own against Newport.

Before the match, Issaquah High junior varsity tennis players were determined to triumph in their match against Redmond High. Having fought for two substantial previous wins, Issaquah was determined to continue the streak with a third game. The team was engaged in practicing, serving back and forth despite the sweltering heat. Though the weather was sunny, it seemed that the sun was hostile, serving to blind the tennis players. Despite this they continued training for the game.

Seniors Lucas Arteche and Apollo Zhang were celebrated and recognized during the match. Issaquah enjoyed some pizza and general camaraderie before the game began. Lined up on Issaquah’s side were the purple and golden colors and on Redmond was a mixture of green and black jerseys with gold upon them. The game would be a mix of doubles and singles where teams or single players would play against other teams.

Substitute Coach Jordan Frost highlighted that that JV tennis “is not like football where [the team] stops and you have all this communication.” Tennis is “very quick very reactive and it’s the guys working together to progress through the game,” he added. A key element to tennis is noticing subtle body language while balancing the daunting amount of stimuli.

Zhang states that for communication in doubles, “It’s usually brief and concise.” He also explains how during a”‘risky move [the team] will call to switch,” though during a game Issaquah keeps oral communication limited as “calling out what you are about to do while [the opponents] are listening doesn’t really work.” Overall, Zhang explains how the reaction and reading body language of both your team and the opposing team can determine a match. The reason for Issaquah’s victory was due to the reaction being on point during this match with them expertly parrying Redmond’s serves.

Sophomore Luke Ketefian seconds this sentiment regarding reading the opponents’ body language. He explains that the “coach has been drilling [our team] to play close to the net so that they are ready to play doubles.” He also says that “I am going in so I can improve. ” He adds that “winning is obviously amazing” and that “if you just play for yourself in doubles, it obviously won’t work out.”

Junior Shashwat Janawar saysthat they “have hand signals to serve” and that “the signals are something the enemies can’t really read.” He comments excitedly that “I think I’m going to win”  yet seemed collected and in the moment. He says that “some people were nervous, but a majority are here to have fun.” He says that overall, the team “improved crazy…with every single play being a hundred times better.” He conveys that the reason for this is because though “the coach can tell [the team] what to do but it’s down to [the team] to learn it.” Thus, he highlights the component of self-motivation in team improvement.