TOLO: Totally Outstandingly Lit Occasion

BRIGHT LIGHTS AND SMILES! This is the first school dance where we have had a giant screen to broadcast videos of us dancing back to us and it seemed like a big hit with students jumping and waving to be captured on screen. The neon lights definitely added a fun vibe to the dance that really accentuated the heavy bass.

Kaitlin D'Souza, Staff Writer

On Saturday March 30, Issaquah High held its annual Tolo dance from 8:30 to 11:00pm in the school commons. The theme this year was Game On and everyone came decked out in competition ready clothes. From popular Mario Kart characters to famous athletes, attending students brought their game faces to make the night a fun Guess Who of video game characters and board games. While a lot of students were initially skeptical of the broad theme, the dance was a fantastic success with smiles all around and fantastic memories made. Sophomore Erin Tylutki said, “I thought the theme was a very fun idea because there were a wide range of possible costumes and left lots of room for creativity.”

ASB did a fantastic job decorating the commons for the dance. With fun games like Twister, Jenga, and Connect 4, students taking a break from the dance floor could have fun with friends doing so. Senior Sophie Lee said, “I loved the decorations and the way that they incorporated actual games into the theme that people could play at Tolo.” And the games were a huge success.

DJ Marquee was in charge of the music for the night along with senior Sam Griffith, who won Friday’s DJ competition and got to play half an hour of the dance. Griffith said, “I liked seeing everybody dancing and singing along because I knew they were having fun.” He played a combination of old favorites like “Take on Me” by A-Ha and new songs like “7 Rings” by Ariana Grande. While a lot of students complain about the rave-like nature of dances like Homecoming and Tolo, there are always people having a good time on the dancefloor to favorites “Don’t Stop Believin’” and no student would miss hitting turbulence at the end of the night, a well-loved Issaquah High tradition.

While the annual Tolo dance is the least attended school dance of the year, the music was as awesome Homecoming and it was a fun night.