The Issaquah High Times

Issaquah Girls Junior Varsity Team Beats Meadowdale in an Exciting Third Win

Back to Article
Back to Article

VICTORIOUS: The Issaquah High School Junior Varsity Girls’ basketball team won a hard-fought game against the Meadowdale Mavericks last Saturday night.

Connor McKee-Sargent

Connor McKee-Sargent

Connor McKee-Sargent

Savannah Wood, Copy Editor

Last Saturday, December 1, the Issaquah Girls’ Junior Varsity team defeated Meadowdale High School with a final score of 42-36. This marks the team’s third consecutive win, previously beating Liberty and Mercer Island High School. The Eagles were ahead at the end of each quarter where they held possession of the ball for the majority of the game. The feisty first quarter quickly displayed Eagle dominance as Freshman Keira Slippern made a basket in the first three seconds of the game. The girls made several fast breaks and easily scored points for their team. Freshman Paris Wallace was a vital player under the basket, making quick rebounds and shots. “We came out with a high intensity the entire game and we worked together as not only as a team but as a family to shut down Meadowdale,” says Wallace. The quarter ended with Issaquah in the lead 15-8. The Eagles had to fight harder in the second quarter, but they still controlled the court with a score of 22-14 at half-time.

The Meadowdale Mavericks tried to come back strong and only trailed Issaquah by five points at the end of the third quarter, but ultimately could not defeat the Eagles. The game was hard-fought, though the Eagles were in the lead for almost all of the game. Freshman Julia Wood, looking forward to more wins, says, “We had a great start and are beginning to really work together as a team!”

Coach Ebany Herd agreed by saying, “[it was] by far our best start of the season. We came out with high intensity and energy that helped us carry the momentum the entire game and come out on top!”

The Eagle’s next game is against Woodinville High School, on December 5, at 5:40 p.m.. Be sure to cheer them on as they hopefully maintain their title of being undefeated.

Savannah Wood, Copy Editor

Second-year journalist, class of 2019, Disneyland enthusiast and will drop anything to pet a dog. Sometimes runs, but usually out of money. Lives for green...

Connor McKee-Sargent, Photographer

Class of 2019, Photographer, preferred portraits. I don’t take selfies, I take self-portraits. I have a ton of free time in the world yet I’m always...