The Eagles Sweep Mount Si Monday Night

Olivia Sharek

SWEEP! The Eagles Varsity Volleyball Team comes out strong against the Mount Si Wildcats, beating them 25-13, 25-21, and 25-20.

Kaitlin D'Souza, Staff Writer

The Issaquah High girls’ varsity team had the Mount Si Wildcats beat in just three sets on Monday night. Head coach Amanda Sewell attributes the win to the team’s impeccable communication saying it “helped them play [consistently] and helped them slowly keep a steady pace through each game which led to their three game sweep.”

Issaquah started out strong against Mount Si in the first set with relentless blocks and a fantastic show of teamwork and good sportsmanship. The Eagles managed to close out the first set on a good note with a score of 25 to 13.

During the second set Mount Si managed to pull into the lead. A strong show of loud support from the team sitting on the sidelines pushed the girls ahead to a victory in the second set at 25 to 21.

The girls closed out strong with a long rally that ended with points to Issaquah. The cheers only got louder as Issaquah closed in on a win. A winning score of 25 to 20 ended the game early with a clean sweep by the Eagles.

Each set had a fantastic number of impressive plays by all the girls. While Issaquah did fall behind Mount Si during the beginning of the second set, the team was quick to recover and win. Sophomore Rachel Ratcliffe says, “Abby May got a lot of really great ups…she’s our other sophomore. It’s really exciting when another sophomore gets a good play.”

Senior Elizabeth Gorski and Sophomore Abigail May tied for the most kills during the game with a total of seven each. May, one of the three sophomores on the team says, “The energy and wanting to keep the ball up and keeping the play going and all the adrenaline. I want to make a good pass for my team so they can set it and hit the ball.”

Junior Lauren Spencer, had the most aces of the game with a total of four. Spencer says, “We always have a lot of energy that we bring on the bench and on the court that helps us win our games and…brings a lot more competition.”