Issaquah JV Girls’ Soccer Blanks Eastlake, 2-0

IMPRESSIVE RECORD: Issaquah Girls’ JV Soccer Team continues their streak with their 58th win, this time against Eastlake.

Charlie Buttler, Staff Writer

Issaquah Girls’ Junior Varsity  Soccer continued their perfect season with a 2-0 victory against Eastlake last night at Gary Moore Stadium.

The action started in the 28th minute, as freshman Grace Reiff pounced on the ball following a rebounded shot, finding the bottom right corner with close ranged finish. Her anticipation of the original Issaquah shot allowed her to find herself in plenty of space. “I knew it was coming, and I was ready,” said Reiff.

After most of the second half played out as a defensive battle, sophomore Ashley Mazzotta won a penalty for the Eagles, running down the right wing before she was taken down in the box by an Eastlake defender. Sophomore Niah Dang stepped up and calmly converted to the bottom right corner to seal the victory for Issaquah with eight minutes left.

It was another dominating performance by the defense, as Eastlake never really tested the Issaquah goal. Incredibly, the team has only conceded one goal in KingCo this season. Leading the defense at center back are junior Jenna Schutter and freshman Lauren Lailey. As great as the defense is, Schutter also credits the team’s prowess at the back to “a good keeper and forwards that can keep the ball.”

Coach Forrest Marrowitz credits all of the team’s success to the players. They are “smart, understand the game, and play to win,” he said. Every day the team is on the field together, above all, the goal is to “make each other better.”

Perhaps most remarkable about JV the team is their 58-game unbeaten run. Carrying the weight of many past JV teams, it gives the team extra motivation to go out and have success. “I am empowered to win every game,” said Schutter.

The team has two games left on the season, at home against Redmond on October 18 and away to Mount Si on October 23. If all goes to plan, the team will be looking at 60 games in a row without a loss.