A Mess of Memories

Cole Madeoy

REFLECTING POSITIVELY: Senior Tage Baumgartner flashes a toothy smile in front of the school where he spent the last four years of his life. “I’m really glad I joined iVision this year to teach the kids how to cook,” he says.

Cole Madeoy, Staff Writer

The journey from a small, awkward freshman may have been rough for many, if not all, high school students at one point or another. But luckily, seniors are nearing the end of their four-year trek through the pitfalls of high school. While many students are open to complain about school, there are a multitude of positive aspects to rival the negatives. Some people might argue that school is actually rather enjoyable, even if that is something of a controversial statement.

While high school may be littered with dislikable moments, it is important to reflect and even focus on the positive experiences that students went through. I know myself as more of a glass half-full kind of guy, and I could probably pick out a few of my best memories at Issaquah high. Senior Thomas Sanbeg says, “The iVision Chicago trip was definitely one of the best memories.” Senior Julia Chestnut also enjoyed iVision and says, “Both of the iVision trips, but I liked Chicago more than Boston.” I have to agree with them, as being a part of iVision was a highlight of being in high school. Some people have different preferences, though. Senior Taylor Crow says, High School Musical was her best memory, and that she is glad she began dancing in high school. Chestnut went on to say, “I’m glad I got involved in challenging classes.” I am not sure I would have fared well in said classes, but I do have a lot of respect for students that take them. Senior Tage Baumgartner says, “The highlight of high school was winning chef of the year, because I’m such a good chef.” These students had their fair share of positive memories, but high school is far from all smiles.

Baumgartner says his worst experience of high school was “Algebra 2 sophomore year, because I failed it.” He also says, “I dislike the lack of spirit I’ve seen this year. We need more spirit in our lives.” I never saw a problem with the school spirit at Issaquah, but senior Chloe Coldrick says, “I wish our football team was better.” Sorry, Eagles. Senior Max Dahlquist, though, says, “I love the culture at Issaquah. We’re a very close-knit community.” Dahlquist did not have a bad thing to say about IHS, so that is somewhat telling of how his high school experience went. I have to say, personally, my time at Issaquah improved significantly in my senior year. I hope that is the case for others, or hopefully their entire high school experience was enjoyable. Senior Sam Berensohn says, “It’s kind of hard to re-enter the community as a student that left and came back years later.” I can sort of relate, as I moved back to Issaquah in eighth grade. On the other hand, senior Gage Nardi says, “We have a nice building, and the community overall is awesome. I regret not taking iVision or DECA, and I would’ve taken AP Computer Science sooner, though.” Nardi’s workload senior year was a bit heavier than he would have preferred.

Of course, senior year means the last summer of high school. It is certainly a bittersweet feeling, which many students want to take advantage of before they are forced to face the real world. Dahlquist says simply “boats!…and work” at the thought of his summer plans. As the weather warms up and those classic Seattle clouds clear, boating definitely seems like something worth doing over the summer. Coldrick says, “I really want to hang out with my friends and explore Washington with them more before I leave for college.” Adventure is definitely out there, and as cliche as that statement may sound, we do live in a beautiful place to explore. Nardi has a similar idea and says, “I want to go out with friends and family, and try to have some fun.” It’s definitely a good plan to enjoy what is arguably the last summer of our childhood. Sad, I know, but it is endearing to know that all of these future graduates will be getting the most out of it.

Along with experiences (both positive and negative), there are also a handful of positive influences that come in the form of the teachers we learn from. The best teachers leave a lasting impact on us, not only as students, but as people. Dahlquist says, “My favorite teachers were Alder and Bland, but I’m not a fan of writing essays.” Senior Kieran Gleeson also says Alder was his favorite teacher. I recall nothing but fond memories of her class as well. She is something of a character, and that is a great thing. I would argue that good teachers have a role in shaping the people that we grow into, or at least some influence.

Seniors graduating and moving on means one thing is for certain: there is a brand new wave of young, ripe freshmen who do not have a clue as to what this “high school” thing is all about. Gleeson says, “Improve yourself without changing who you truly are.” That is good advice from any standpoint. Nardi says, “Take the hard classes sophomore and junior year, and get your feet wet. That way you can have a fun senior year.” This is great advice for managing your workload if you plan to take tougher classes. Coldrick says, “Try new things. I know it sounds cheesy, but you’ll learn things about yourself. High school can be fun, too.” That is a positive outlook for sure.

As the year draws to a close, I wish everyone a positive and exciting journey from high school to beyond. Whether you are going to a university or the military, or anything in between, it has been nothing short of an incredible four year experience here at Issaquah, and even though it may not have all been peaches and cream, I can confidently say I do not regret any of it.