Issaquah Boys’ Baseball Freshman Team Win the Frist Game of the Double Header

Andrew Kim, Staff Writer

On April 29, the Issaquah High School Boy’s Baseball Freshman Team came out on top against the Woodinville Falcons in an away game at WHS with a resounding 6-0 win to take the first game of the doubleheader on Saturday. This marked their third win of the season and improved their record to 3-1.

The Eagles started off hot, scoring two runs in the first off of opposing starter Skelton. Eagles left-handed pitcher Lando Gray was dominant in his start. He put up zeroes across the board as he and the bullpen limited the Falcons to just four hits in total. After his impressive outing, Gray said that “everything felt good, and I was just really locked in…. Definitely one of my better outings of the season.” The Eagles’ offense did not just stop there in the first inning. Despite going on a cold spell for the next four innings with only a few scattered singles, the Eagles finally broke through again in the sixth inning with a double from Tristan Turi followed by a single from Joseph Foss. This increased their lead to 3-0 as they entered the final innings. The Falcons’ offense continued to struggle, and they could not get anything going. In the seventh and last inning, the Eagles put the game completely out of reach and stamped their foot down for the victory with a three-spot led by Brayden Chen, Brody Edwins, and Thunwa Piyathanawiwat. Singles from Chen and Edwins set up Piyathanawiwat for a two-run double that had gone deep into the corner of the field. With two outs, Evan Doan brought Piyathanawiwat home with a single past the diving second baseman, extending the lead to 6-0 and ultimately a 6-0 victory.

Eagles’ head coach Steve Sanelli praised Gray after his start: “Gray pitched really nice for us, and it was an overall great performance by the team. Defense and offense were both firing on all cylinders…. Just a fun game with a fun group of guys.” After the big two-run double to put the game out of reach in the seventh inning, Piyathanawiwat commented on his performance stating how “it was mostly just preparation and seeing the ball well. I saw a ball I wanted to hit, and I was able to hit it hard to left field.”

Overall, the team showed grittiness, competitiveness, and sportsmanship throughout the game which highlighted their great coaching staff and well-earned win. They look now to facing the Falcons again in the second game of the doubleheader and to finish off the regular season at Eastlake on Monday, May 1.