The U.S. Should Keep the Drug Economy 

Max Cauchi, Staff Writer

The United States is and has been suffering from a drug crisis that has been spreading throughout the country, and the government should keep it running. There are many speculations on how to get rid of the illegal drug economy in the U.S. and when it should be done, but the topic of whether or not it should even be stopped is rarely discussed. However, it should be talked about as it is an important factor in the market that is changing so many people’s lives.

There are a few things to acknowledge. The effect of drugs circulating in the economy is catastrophic and has long term effects on both society and the economy itself. According to The Office of National Drug Control Policy many college students that use drugs have been found to “have lower grade point averages and are more likely to be heavy drinkers and users of other illicit drugs.” The mental health of the drug users becomes destroyed or damaged which not only affects the life of the user but also everyone around or connected to them. In many cases those who turn to drugs already have poor mental health and their escape is drugs which would just intensify their poor mental health. This then leads to economic consequences as good mental health is extremely important to have a good job and contribute to the economy. This harmful economy also has environmental affects too, the International Narcotics Control Board says that the “illicit manufacture and disposal of drugs and pharmaceuticals cause significant environmental contamination.” This contamination can include pollution of public water or food as well as harming wildlife in the surrounding area.

These negative effects cannot be overlooked and must be understood as they are terrible and change so many people’s lives. However, thinking purely on the economic standpoint creates another important topic of discussion; what has the drug economy done in terms of contribution to the U.S. market or other economies? During the 1980s many Latin American countries were struggling economically but Colombia was doing much better than most because of the billions of dollars in drug proceeds it was receiving. Since the country was not struggling with major recessions, many lives were saved or improved in Colombia compared to the countless number of people around them who were struggling. According to PBS, “At least 6% of the economy is thought to be directly involved in narcotics business, with a minimum of $5 billion in profits per year.” If such a large amount of money was lost, Colombia’s economy would collapse and harm more people than the drug economy would. Many people wonder if such large amounts of money being destroyed can be so harmful, and how this money is being used? During the massive economic crash during 2008 there was nothing that could have stopped the recession from hitting, but its effects were able to be limited. Antonio Maria Costa, head of the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime says, “There were signs that some banks were rescued by billions of dollars that ‘originated from the drugs trade and other illegal activities.” The saving of these banks creates opportunities to have better chances at economic healing and growth after a large market crash, and could have saved many people from becoming homeless or broke as they would have been able to take loans or withdraw money that the bank would originally not have.

Overall the effect of drugs economically, ethically, and environmentally should not be taken lightly and information can change or new solutions may be found. Even so as it stands I think the destruction of the drug economy would change harm the lives of more people than it already is and until there is a solution for both those issues the drug economy needs to keep running. That said drug economy is a very complicated subject. The extent the drug economy has on so many people’s lives is hard to grasp and the number of people it effects cannot be calculated as there are so many steps to create the drugs that would be sold. These steps would include the cultivation of the actual plants for the drugs which creates many jobs for those who need the opportunity, but the effect those drugs have on the users is horrible and ruins their lives, with all these factors it is hard to determine what is right and wrong, because of those factors the conversation on drugs must continue to be discussed.