Swingin’ in Vienna Is a Must See

Louis Violette, Staff Writer

Issaquah High School holds an annual live music dance night. This night is called Swingin’ in Vienna, which is traditionally held in the commons, also known as the lunch room. This year it will be held as a dance on Feb. 11 in the Issaquah High School Commons at 7:30 p.m. There will be refreshments available this year. Be sure to dress up!

Both the Jazz Band and Evergreen Philharmonic will play songs like “In The Mood by Glenn Miller” and “Sing, Sing, Sing, by Benny Goodman.” Evergreen Philharmonic does waltz songs like “Waltz of the Flowers” by Pyotyr Il’yich Tchaikovsky.

Being a part of the Jazz band and having participated in Swingin’ in Vienna in 2019 when it was a dance, then again in 2021 when it was more of a concert style, was still amazing even though quarantine was still active and having to keep distance between the audience members was critical. They have both been fun and enjoyable, especially when the event gets later into the night, and all the Jazz Band and Evergreen members are getting tired and the tone quality starts to slip. And slip it does! But with “Sing, Sing, Sing” being one of the last songs that the Jazz band will play for Swingin’ in Vienna, somehow all the tiredness is gone from earlier, and the endurance is back to play that fast and wild song. But before the songs get wild, at the start of the night Patrick Holen, the band director, will teach you how to dance, no matter if you have danced many times or if this is your first time dancing. Some classics you might recognize are: “Sway,” “In The Mood,” “Pennsylvania 6-5000,” “At Last,” “Chattanooga Choo Choo,” and “Moonlight Serenade.”

Overall, Swingin’ in Vienna is definitely the dance to go to if you get a chance to go and experience the wonders of live music since quarantine shut down practically every event since 2020.