“Cunk on Earth:” Witty and Fresh History

May Nguyen, Staff Writer

Jan. 1 marks the release of the latest Netflix mockumentary – a mock-up documentary “Cunk on Earth.” Known for its short clips circulating social media using humorous sound bites like “Which was more culturally significant: the Renaissance or Single Ladies by Beyonce?”, the five-episodes series is a satire aimed to explore the history of humankind. Each episode is set up similarly to a regular history show where comedian Diane Morgan offers her own twist of questioning of each major era on earth.

I think what makes this series work well and be able to achieve success among a young audience is the familiarity of it all. It is safe to say that everyone has experienced watching some form of history documentary during their academic career. We all know how it goes. First the dramatic introduction, then a wild opening question, add some interviews with historians who never get to the point, and of course half an hour of fake reimagined fighting. “Cunk on Earth” capitalizes on this show format down to the tee, allowing the feeling of being in on a childhood secret. The history and pop culture references also cover well-known material, which draws viewers in. On top of that, the character Philomena Cunk is extremely loveable and charismatic. Her ability to turn the confusion onto the researchers and professors in every field using clever interviews never failed to put a smile on my face.

My favorite episode is undoubtedly the third installment, “Rise of the Machine,” which features segments partly on creations like the lightbulb and cars, and partly on American history. If there were any worries about repetitiveness of topic or boredom, I can assure you that there are none. The flow of the show balances perfectly between letting you grasp the jokes, while still handling the long timeline.

To conclude, this two and a half hour series is a perfect binge watch for some joy in your life. What are you waiting for? Philomena Cunk is ready to explore every corner of our planet!