Languages in School 

John Ryu, Staff Writer

High school students in the United States have a variety of language classes to choose from, and the most popular options tend to be Spanish, French, and German. These three languages are among the most commonly taught in schools across the country. They are also some of the most useful languages to learn for students planning to attend college or pursue international careers. Spanish is perhaps the most popular language class among high school students, and it is easy to see why. Sophomore Julianna Johnson said she took Spanish because it is “one of the popular foreign languages class” among her peers. Spanish is spoken by over 460 million people worldwide, making it the second most spoken language in terms of native speakers. It is also the official language of 21 countries and an important language in many others. In the United States, Spanish is the second most commonly spoken language and is particularly prevalent in the Southwest and Florida. 

In addition to Spanish, French, and German, many high schools also offer classes in other languages such as Chinese, Japanese, and Arabic. These classes tend to be smaller and may not be offered at all schools, but they are becoming increasingly popular as the world becomes more interconnected and the demand for multilingual individuals grows. 

Overall, high school language classes provide students with the opportunity to learn about different cultures and gain valuable communication skills that can be useful in college and beyond. Whether you are interested in Spanish, French, German, or another language, there are plenty of options to choose from and many benefits to be gained from learning a new language. 

In today’s globalized world, being multilingual is becoming increasingly important, and high school students who are fluent in one or more languages have a distinct advantage over those who only speak one language. Speaking multiple languages can open up a wide range of career opportunities and make it easier to communicate with people from different cultural backgrounds. Junior Matthew Lou says, “As a trilingual, I think it is worth learning more than one language for your future career.” 

One of the main benefits of being multilingual is that it can make you more attractive to potential employers. Many companies are looking for employees who are able to communicate with clients and colleagues in multiple languages, and being fluent in a second language can give you an edge in the job market. In addition, being able to speak multiple languages can make it easier to work abroad or travel internationally for business. 

Speaking multiple languages can also broaden your cultural horizons and help you understand and appreciate different cultures. Freshman Brandon Jang says, “Sometimes I share my knowledge of Chinese culture with others, and it makes very interesting conversation.” Learning a new language requires you to learn about the customs and traditions of the culture where the language is spoken, and this can help you become more open-minded and understanding of others. 

High school students can improve their proficiency in a second language through various methods such as taking language classes in popular languages like Spanish, French, and German offered by schools, or studying less commonly taught languages such as Chinese, Japanese, and Arabic through programs. They can also use online resources and language learning apps to practice and achieve fluency.

Overall, being multilingual is a valuable skill that can open up a wide range of opportunities for high school students. Senior Sophia Anderson says, “I often find myself talking to Hispanic people who are not proficient in English during my shift.” Whether you are considering studying abroad, working internationally, or simply want to communicate with people from different cultures, learning a second language can be a rewarding and enriching experience.”