Andrew Tate Is Arrested – Now What?

Ella Sharrers, Copy Editor

As much as we may hate to admit it, this world relies on social media. Social media means trends, current news, Hollywood gossip, and especially influencers. There are TV stars and overall socialites, like the Kardashians and Jenners, TikTokers like Charli D’Amelio. There is also a new notorious influencer who has risen to fame: Andrew Tate. 

Who is Andrew Tate? CNN says that Tate is “a former professional kickboxer, [who is known] for his viral rants online about male dominance, female submission and wealth.” The New York Times describes him as an “online personality who frequently [makes] misogynistic comments to his large following on social media sites.” A misogynist is defined as “a person who dislikes, despises, or is strongly prejudiced against women.” Sophomore Joaquin Marin characterizes Tate as “a world kickboxing champion who went viral for his controversial comments on a variety of subjects.” The 36-year-old American-British influencer is a known misogynist, but how did someone with such a regressive mindset establish such a platform? Senior Ian Hillman says that he managed this feat due to how Tate “verbalizes his feelings” and how, after retiring from kickboxing, he “used his money to invest in businesses.” Hillman goes on to say that Tate’s comments are like verbal attacks, which brings him attention. Junior Haley Ross says, “He gets more views [online] because people are talking about him. If people think he is funny, they would repost it, but really, it boosts his views.” Ross brings up an important point – when sharing shocking posts on social media, it only fuels the source further. Marin believes that Tate simply “played his cards right and really sought out the perfect age for his audience,” which led to his ability to establish a platform. But for a man like Andrew Tate, what are the consequences of allowing him this fame? 

Regardless of your stance on Andrew Tate, he has undeniably managed to make a lasting impact on the media world. Hillman, Ross, and freshman Eesha Vengalathuru all say that the group of people Tate is able to influence the most is young men, with Hillman giving the range of ages “12-25.” Vengalathuru says that a danger of this power is that Tate “causes people to have misogynistic views towards women,” and goes on to say that while young men are the most impacted, Tate also “teaches women that they are not worthy or important.” Women feeling greatly affected by Andrew Tate in regards to their place in society is a dangerous possibility. Buzzfeed News points out that Tate “has described married women as ‘property.’” The New York Times article continues with, “[Tate often makes] hateful comments, including that women who are raped are partly responsible for the attacks.” Misogyny is still present as ever in the workforce and overall life, but an influencer like Tate, Ross says, would “set [society] back a lot” when it comes to women’s rights and overall gender equality. Hillman adds to this, saying that “things he says affects people in a negative way” and that some of Tate’s comments, especially related to women, are “degrading and unrealistic.” Marin believes that people often dislike Tate due to how “his views are very brutal and harsh, and most people nowadays would not agree with them.” However, Marin adds, “Some people like him for his kickboxing career.” At any rate, while Tate’s kickboxing and martial arts abilities are rightfully admirable, there must be a separation between his athletic abilities and his controversial perspectives. 

Amidst Andrew Tate’s misogynistic comments and Twitter fights with Greta Thunberg (seriously), controversies have sparked surrounding possible charges of human trafficking, rape, and other counts of sexual assault. According to Forbes, in December, “Tate, his brother, and two other individuals were detained by Romanian authorities for a 24-hour period on human trafficking charges with six victims identified.” Tate attempted to appeal the eventual ruling of a 30 day detention, but failed. On Jan. 20, the Forbes article continues, “Tate and his brother’s detention in Romania was extended for another 30 days until Feb. 27 while prosecutors continue their investigation into human trafficking and organized crime.” Tate will remain in detention for now, but what happens when Feb. 27 rolls around? Hillman assumes that Tate will be released, as does Ross. Ross continues, “That is the [justice] system, it works in favor of powerful men. Tate will come out kicking and screaming… to make sure he gets out.” Ross discusses an important point – while gender equality is improving, sexism still reigns true in many systems. Unfortunately, a man like Andrew Tate only perpetuates the allowance of this discrimination. Even though Tate is in jail, he is still constantly spoken about. It is safe to say that his fame and attention has not faltered since being detained. However, any publicity is good publicity. Hillman elaborates on this, saying, “No matter how good or how bad, [Tate] is always talked about at the table.”  Just like many other controversial celebrities, no matter what they do, there is always a shadow of attention following them. With Andrew Tate in detention, the only thing to do now is wait to see what he does next until February 27th. 

Whether you support Andrew Tate or not, there is no excuse for blatant misogyny. Ross continues, “It is basic human decency to be respectful of women and their bodies… the stuff he [says] is irrational.” It is obvious that, while inspiring some with his impressive athletic career, Andrew Tate is a man who has sparked anger and harm within people everywhere, especially women. No matter what, Tate must be held accountable for his foul, cruel, and inexcusable misogyny.