Mental Health In The Media

Zinna Park, Staff Writer

The media is a source we use every day of our lives. It is what keeps us informed, and entertained, and shapes how we view the world. According to Mindsum, “The average person consumes media almost daily, whether that be online, social media, television or film, and we may not realize how much of an influence it has on our everyday life and beliefs. It has been found that around 70% of the public get their information from television alone.” Nowadays the culture and new normal of binging shows and movies have brought up the subject of how mental health is being portrayed. However, much of how mental health is being shown in the media today has continued the negative stigma and exaggerated portrayal which has dominated Hollywood for decades. CBR writer Carolina Canola says, “Movies about mental health conditions can include a variety of characters with genius-level intellect or sensationalized, exaggerated quirks. Either way, the misinformation that is spread through these films can be damaging. Unfortunately, good movies can inaccurately portray mental health.”

Believe it or not some of the best shows and critically acclaimed movies have come short when it comes to how they portray characters dealing with mental health. According to Montare Behavioral Health, “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest” is considered to be one of the greatest films ever made, however, it is one of the most inaccurate portrayals of the real afflictions of mental health and its many disorders.” Nonetheless, this does not take away from the fact that in recent years the number of shows and movies that accurately portray mental health has grown, slowly but surely starting to change the stigma surrounding mental health. Junior Julia Wang says, “A Whisker Away has a very nice portrayal of depression, trauma, and suicidal thoughts. The film used casual representation rather than explicit representation. It is never directly stated that the character’s struggle with mental health. Instead, it is shown through their characterization. This film does an especially good job because of the metaphors it uses throughout the film to represent the character’s suicidal thoughts & consequences.” Similarly, senior Max Fleischman says, “I think for me, the best show for mental health is Steven Universe because it makes sense for Steven’s character, and it is handled with respect but it is also not shied away from and spoken around.” Overall, while the stigma around mental health still exists, it has improved from the past which has continued to spread the right message to audiences

According to an article written by Mindsum, “Typical misconceptions that the media suggest people with mental health issues act and behave include showing; these people as more violent, physically looking different and messy, their symptoms are always extreme, recovery isn’t possible, and that mental health hospitals are something to be scared of.” This is just one of the reasons why accurate portrayal is vital to educate the public properly but what exactly does a good portrayal of mental health look like? Wang says, “Casual representation is always the most accurate in my opinion. Sensitivity in how characters behave around others and how their mental illness is portrayed throughout the film – without stating many times that they struggle with mental health – often leads to the most relatable and accurate portrayals.” Freshman Penelope Krause adds, “I think a good portrayal of mental health looks like just talking about it and showing how it affects others.” Another common mistake that is evident throughout the media today is the lack of inaccuracy and the overuse of one mental health issue. Fleischman says, “ I think it is really harmful, because it puts people into a box, and you know obviously media can not always portray everyone, but I think it is better to have more than one way a thing can look, from something more common like general anxiety disorders to more serious mental health issues like [ADHD, PTSD, and OCD].” Biology teacher Denise Moberly adds, “Representation matters. It is important that mental health is an issue that is addressed rather than ignored, including characters that cope with mental health can help to normalize the very human experience of struggling with mental health.”

It is no secret that there is a stigma around mental health, especially in the media, but the question remains about why and how this stigma was created. Wang offers an insight into why this may be. She says, “Those who struggle with mental health are often labeled as “crazy” in society, and such labels are easily perpetrated through media as well. Rather than attack these inaccurate and insensitive labels, popular media takes the easiest route (and the one that will make them the most money) and capitalizes on societal labels.” On the note of the system Fleischman adds that there is also the role  society plays in it. He says, “First and foremost, toxic masculinity, I think plays a massive role, but it is also important to note the position of capitalism, because we have a system where you are either a winner or a loser, and to take time to prioritize yourself or not always work is shamed traditionally, and media reflects society.” Dr. Vasilis, Pozios, M.D., a psychiatrist, and frequent Comic Con panelist speaker about mental health in the media is the co-founder of Broadcast Thought a consultant group whose mission is to “shift the narrative that equates mental illness to villainous behavior and encourages the media to embrace new dimensional and accurate portrayals of mental illness, perceptions, and treatment.” When speaking about their mission, Pozio says, “This can be a win-win situation in terms of improving accuracy and limiting stigma, but also creating more interesting and compelling stories and characters.”

Influence is an important factor in how it affects mental health due to the mass consumption of media, especially by younger audiences that tend to look up to or follow the example of fictional characters. This brings up the topic of the influence and the educational purpose of mental health in the media. Wang highlights the point that younger impressionable audiences adapt to aspects of characters including their unhealthy characteristics. Yet, she does agree that mental health is something that can be improved with media, she says, “Watching accurate representations of yourself/your struggles can be extremely healing. The knowledge that your experiences are shared and understood by others can help you feel less isolated and encourage you to speak with others about your struggles.” When it comes to educational mental health in the media, Wang offers a word of caution and advice:“The media can be used to learn about mental health, but you have to be careful with what pieces of media you are using to educate yourself. Popular media and films that are directed and produced by people without personal experience with mental illnesses are not good ways to learn about mental health. These pieces are often made solely for entertainment and profit. It is better to find media made by those who have firsthand experiences.” While watching your favorite character on screen can influence your feelings and struggles it is key to be aware of what and how much media you consume.

Media has always been a channel of communication and consumption among the public and when it comes to how an important issue like mental health is being portrayed it is crucial to display accurate portrayals to prevent further stereotypes and stigma. While in recent years the representation of mental health in the media has gotten considerably better, there is still a long road ahead to removing the stigma and normalizing accurate and diverse mental health representation.