Finals Week

Ava Wine, Staff Writer

Finals week: the three to four days of back-to-back tests, usually around 75 to 100 points, held at the end of a semester as a way for teachers to see how much a student retained from the units that year and add in a final assignment into students’ grades. During the preparation period for finals, it is a very stressful and intense time, especially for underclassmen who have not had the years of final experience upperclassmen have had. The main thing they worry about is how do you study and remember everything? Every final is different. Some classes have multiple choice tests, essays, final projects, and some classes are a mixture. Some teachers give their students a study guide for finals whilst some classes do not. Finals are stressful because of their large impact on a student’s overall grade. Since they are usually 10 percent of your grade or some teachers will have it lower or higher.

Studying is one of the most important things for students, but it is also the hardest thing to do. According to senior Eric Tao, “You should ideally start studying a week before [the final].” Since there are different types of finals, different study methods work better than others. If you have a multiple-choice test, you should look over old exams and make example test questions. Junior Logan Pinel suggests making review packets. When your teacher gives you a study guide, websites like mcgraw.princeton.edu and usa.edu suggest using them as an example test and answering all the questions on a separate sheet of paper. That way it not only is a visual representation of the test, but you also now have all the information you need to study in one place.

Sometimes students’ study for hours on end and still end up not doing well on the finals. Study.com created an article about the top five mistakes students make for studying. The second most common mistake is memorizing instead of learning. When you rely on only specific questions you memorized, when a question on the final is different than you studied you do not know how to answer.  Another common mistake is using your phone during studying time. Mydegree.com states, “interruptions from your phone are notorious for breaking your concentration. If you pull away to check a notification, you will have to refocus your brain before diving back into your studies.” With all our schoolwork being online, it is very difficult not to get distracted. Many students have Canvas on their phone, along with studying apps like Quizlet. I personally suggest shutting down your phone or placing your phone in another room during longer study sessions.

Are finals really a good way to test knowledge and skill? Junior Haley Lu-Nguyen answers, “Finals reinforce your learning, but I think it is better to just test on the unit.” When the information is still fresh in your mind, you are more likely to remember all the small details from the small amount of content. Although they are hard, finals are very significant in helping with retention of knowledge. Going back to your notes to review is very motivating for students to work harder the next semester or write down more main ideas.

With all the stress of finals, it is important to make sure to take time for your mental and physical health. The key to becoming better at studying is to make sure you are sleeping seven to ten hours a day, drinking plenty of water and making sure to eat. Many people, when under extreme pressure, forget to take care of themselves and begin to overwork themselves causing burn out. It is also very beneficial to take small breaks when studying. If you are studying for two hours try getting up to fill up a cup of water or organizing your workspace every 25 to 30 minutes. You are still getting all the studying benefits and not causing any more pressure to be added to you.

Trying to balance new schoolwork with balancing finals is another key stressor. A week before finals you are usually still finishing up your last unit. When you go to do homework and you need to also study past information. Many feel this is hard to manage. If you try studying your last unit during the finals week this will also help you. Not only does it make you have to study one less unit over the studying process, but you will have the concept more in your mind for the existing tests and quizzes.

Overall, finals are challenging for all students, and everyone must go through these tests together. It is okay to struggle with trying to manage all this new information. Your teachers and peers are also all willing to help with this difficult week. Good luck to all IHS students for next year’s final.