How Important Is Standardized Testing When Applying To Colleges?

John Ryu, Staff Writer

After 13 years of going through elementary school, middle school, and high school, most seniors apply for colleges to finish their high school career. To have a strong appeal to colleges, standardized tests play a big role. The most well known standard test is the SAT that is run by the college Board. College Board is a “nonprofit organization” that makes 62 million dollars in profit. It is a good way to appeal to colleges about what you are capable of and your academic level. However, many students could not take standardized testing due to the testing center closing during online school. As a result, many colleges went from sat/act (American college testing) to test-optional. 

There are mainly three policies that many colleges are using which are test optional, test flexible, test blind. Test optional means if students want to submit their schools, colleges will take them into consideration. Test blind means that a score is not required, plus will not take into consideration. Test flexible means you may be able to take a test other than the SAT or ACT, such as AP Exams, to meet the school’s requirements for admission. Although many colleges do not test optional, many people still take the SAT and aim for a good score. Sophomore Shavian Harper says, “Although it says ‘optional’ it is better to fill out everything that is optional like extra essay questions, and SAT/ACT scores.” Freshman Andrew Lee adds, “Many of my friends are also planning to take the SAT during summer break to have a more flexible life later in high school.”

Since many colleges are dropping sat/act requirements. Many people might think that standardized tests do not affect when applying to colleges. However, test optional just means colleges will take a look at your score when you submit the score, which means there are gaps between students who sent a SAT/ACT score and those who did not. When colleges choose a scholarship winner, you need to have an SAT/ACT score to apply for a scholarship. When your GPA (grade point average) is low, having a good score could make up your low GPA.  Although you should not send a score if you are not confident about your score but if you have a chance to take the test it is best to prepare for the test and aim for a good score. If students choose not to submit scores, colleges may take a look at other factors Like GPA, essay, awards, achievements, recommendation letters, and extracurricular activities. Some of the activities that could increase your chance of getting admitted are foreign language, volunteering, coding, and internship.

On 2017 Aug 25 SAT. The College Board reused a set of SAT test problems that are used in Asia. In the 2017 Oct the SAT test was leaked and was spread through many test takers which questions its fairness for all students.  The College Board stated that they will take action if they come up with a conclusion that the test was not fair. However, there was no way to tell that if students looked at the SAT test problems. In 2013 the average SAT score was 1498 out of 2400. While non-Asians’ average SAT score dropped by 6-28 points, Asians’ average score increased by 45 points. It is more likely that non-Asians with the same GPA and SAT score will get into a certain university than Asians with the same GPA and SAT score. Junior Ethan Lou says, ”I get that the college wants diversity, but I do not think it is fair to admit someone who has shown lower academic performance just because they are non-Asian.” Is it fair that colleges select who is going to get in by race? It is something we should think about. 

If student choose not to take standardized test and want to go to good colleges. It is highly recommended that they take AP (advanced placement)  classes. Senior Julia Liu says, ”Taking AP classes are helpful when applying to college, and it gives you college credit if you pass the AP exam.” AP classes are provided by the college board that are around the same difficulty as first to second college level classes. Amount of studying for AP classes is much higher compared to regular classes and even honors classes and the classes are aimed to teach student for them to score above four on AP exams. The better the school is, the more they look at how you chose your course selection. Excluding ivy leagues, it is challenging to even apply for UC without any AP classes taken.

Whether taking a standard test or not really depends on what kind of colleges you are looking to apply to. Even without standardized test scores, you can still impress admissions by writing great college essays, rigorous courses, leadership, and extracurricular activities. Not taking SAT does not mean you can not get into college, but it is highly recommended especially if you are Asian because the competition is way more competitive and not only that but once you get admitted they ask you for sat scores from 75 percent who has been admitted and when you are applying for scholarship standardized test score is required. 

Even though many colleges do not require standardized test dropping. However, it is better to have one more asset that can impress students’ dream college.