Issaquah Varsity Girls’ Soccer Team Won Against Bothell, 2-0

John Ryu, Staff Writer

On Oct. 16 Issaquah High School’s Girls’ Varsity Soccer Team defeated Bothell 2-0. The game started at 5:30 p.m. and ended around 7:00 p.m. at Issaquah High School. Many parents and students from both schools came to the game to cheer on their teams.

The Issaquah varsity soccer team scored one goal against Bothell in the first half. Although there was not much crowd on both teams, when they scored the goal, the crowd was full of noise, cheering, and whistling. In the second half, Issaquah scored another goal against Bothell in the first 10 minutes. Although the Eagles could not score any goals after the second one, they dominated the game the whole time. Parents and students were actively cheering during the game and there was a great atmosphere throughout the game

Coach, Jason Lichtenberger said that their goal as a team is to go undefeated as a team, Lichtenberger noted that his players met his goal and “expectation 100% in today’s game and looking forward to even further improvement game after game.” Lichtenberger also said that the team was able to win not only because two players scored, but also because the whole team played well.

The turning point of the game was when two players scored one goal in each half, which made momentum and an atmosphere that led to a flawless victory. Although some players did not score, there were so many close shots that were missed by an inch. 

Senior, Shelby Runje said that “I am satisfied with her play and the result of the game, and my team and I are looking forward to going to the state championship and even national.” She also said, “I will try my hardest to play as much as games as possible since it is my last year.” Junior Maggie Dutra said, “as Shelby said, I am also satisfied with our play and the result, and I think we have successfully shown our bond as a team.”

Issaquah and Bothell did a great job, and the Eagles’ hard work paid off. They had great coaches, players, and a crowd who supported them to win. Since it was a home game, there were a few Bothell supporters too, which I think affected the Bothell players mentally in a negative way. In the end, they both showed us a great game and showed how hard they have been working for the competition.