Running Start: A Unique and Accelerated Learning Path 

Kayla Tehero, Staff Writer

It has been four weeks since the start of the 2022-23 school year, and many IHS students may already carry the overwhelming workloads or exhaustive boredom that comes with high school. But for 11 percent of the IHS student body, things are just now starting to get interesting. Out of the approximate 2,600 students enrolled at IHS, 292 have chosen a unique and unconventional approach to their high school education: the Running Start program. 

Running Start is offered at IHS and gives upperclassmen the opportunity to broaden their academic horizons by attending classes at Bellevue College (BC). This year, BC classes started on Sept. 18. Students can choose to enroll part-time, with some classes at IHS and some at BC, or they can choose the full-time path, with all their classes at the college. Students choose Running Start for a variety of reasons, but mostly because it gives them more options, either presently or in the future. Junior Annika Kim appreciates the flexibility of Running Start. “I can find a class that works for my time and fit that into my schedule, rather than having set class times here,” she said. Junior Cooper Ward had similar, but prospective motives, saying, “I chose the Running Start program mainly because I want to get ahead. I want to earn my associates degree and potentially skip two years of college.” Running Start also gives students more options by offering more variety in learning styles and giving them the opportunity to find an environment that they thrive in. Senior Lauren Elrod shares how her unique school setting has benefitted her: “I do my classes asynchronously, so I can do them anytime I want, and it gives me more time… I feel more independent, and I like it more,” Elrod explains. 

Running Start students on average spend less time in a classroom each day than the typical IHS student, which can be a huge advantage for those who want to pursue other interests outside of school, especially since BC classes do not start until mid-September. “Before I started [BC classes,] … I would be home by one and done with school by three,” says junior Neil Chawla. Running Start students shared that they had more time for a variety of pursuits, including ACT prep, online internships, school sports, and creating art. 

Despite Running Start’s liberating, independent qualities, it does come with challenges. With so much freedom and so many new options, Running Start students can sometimes become overwhelmed by the independence that comes with a nontraditional education. They must be able to take responsibility for their own learning. Chawla adds, “In high school, everything is structured; you have counselors and teachers to help you. In college, you are kind of by yourself,” Ward also expressed similar concerns: “I struggle with time management, a responsibility that is pushed heavily onto Running Start students. If I do not manage my time well, my grade will plummet,” he shared. 

Students who choose to join Running Start must grow accustomed to their new and unique high school experience, especially how they interact socially in their school environment. “It is really hard because you do not see your friends every day,” says junior Micki Korock. “I was not aware how connected I was through school until the past couple of weeks.” However, this change also provides the opportunity to meet people who you share interests with. Senior Seamus Walkiewicz shared his positive social experience at Bellevue College. He says, “Meeting new people is a challenge, but it’s fun because you meet people in the subjects that you like. It’s great meeting people that like what I like.” 

Running Start is not the only nontraditional approach to a high school education. There are several opportunities to broaden your education horizons outside of the IHS campus. For example, senior JJ Carragher, through the Washington Network of Innovative Careers (WANIC) program, is enrolled in art classes at DigiPen Institute of Technology. “I think it is honestly really rewarding especially for DigiPen, if you love art or you are interested in pursuing a career in art, or even just as a hobby. Nontraditional schooling is very individual, so it works well for different people. I would say just keep an open mind about things,” they shared. 

If you are interested in taking a non-traditional approach to your education, consult with your counselor about programs such as Running Start and WANIC. Chances are, it may be a great fit for your learning style. As for IHS counselor Julianna Jenkins, she highly recommends the program. “Any student is fit for the Running Start program,” Jenkins says assuredly. She adds, “If you are worried about it being college classes, I would not be too worried… I think any student can make it work.” Although the new learning environment presents a new set of challenges, Jenkins is confident that any student has the ability to adapt and thrive in the unique environment, sometimes even better than they did at IHS. Any change can be difficult to adapt to, but the Running Start program provides so many unique opportunities for students to pursue their future careers, goals, and passions.