Christmas Trees: Real or Fake?

Eli McCalmont, Staff Writer

Christmas is a really fantastic holiday and time of year. Not only do you receive plenty of gifts from relatives, but many have a well needed opportunity to spend time with family. As many will do these days, they will purchase a Christmas tree. And this brings us to the big question: should we buy an artificial Christmas tree, or a real Christmas tree?

Over the years, artificial Christmas trees have steadily become more and more popular across the nation. On the contrary, according to The Nature Conservancy, around ten million artificial Christmas trees are purchased every season in the U.S.,. There are many benefits to these fake trees. For example, they are typically easy to maintain because they do not need to be watered every day. Like real Christmas trees, they also do not drop needles. They do not need to be managed like real trees, so you can keep them up as long as you wish. They are also reusable for many years, so you do not have to spend a ludicrous amount of money on a tree each year. They also are fairly easy to install and take down, some trees having the ability to spiral. However, it could potentially be difficult to store if there is not a designated area for it. And people with allergies to strong scents do not have to worry about triggering their allergies with most artificial trees as well. The major downside about these trees is that they are made up of PVC and other chemicals that may be harmful to people and the environment. These materials are not recyclable or biodegradable, so most of these trees are transported into landfills after they are thrown in the trash. Also, these trees are being produced and shipped from China across the world which causes increases in carbon emissions and resources. Additionally, because of the high demand of these artificial trees, the carbon footprint is heavily affected negatively.

Real Christmas trees have always been a traditional choice for many families across the globe for years. The scent of many real Christmas trees can nudge at nostalgic Christmas memories for many people. Sophomore Cooper Ward describes it by saying, “It has a great scent, and just smells Christmassy and full.” Senior Brooke Bullock expands on this by saying, “It is also a fun family activity to get a tree and do it all together.” There are also thousands of tree recycling programs across the nation, according to PuroClean HQ. These tree farms are also positively impacting the rural economy by providing many jobs for these areas. However, these trees could be the fact that they must be constantly maintained without fail. Many farmers are also known to use some toxic pesticides to help grow these real trees. Another major drawback is the amount of money these trees can cost each year. Hattiesburg American says, “The American Christmas Tree Association said the average cost of a live tree has increased to $78 and artificial trees to $104, though the price varies by state and the type and height of the tree.” They also say that the cost of live trees has nearly doubled since 2015. Even though the artificial trees, on average, cost more than a real tree, they can last for many years unlike real trees which only usually last for a year.

The good thing about these trees is that they do not require long-distance shipping, in which they do not boost carbon emissions like fake trees do. Even though 30 million trees are harvested in the U.S. each season, farmers are planting 10 times as many trees as they harvest, according to The Nature Conservancy. They say that 350-500 million trees are planted each year, which significantly outweighs the amount harvested. Supporting land owners with buying their trees will allow them to continue to maintain their land for the distant future. Supporting local farms also keeps the farmland covered in healthy habitat that many animals rely on. It has been also proven that to protect our forests, we need to use them consciously so that we do not overuse them. When these forests are sustained, they can produce many renewable resources that we may use such as many wood products and, of course, Christmas trees. Many sustained forests will produce as much carbon as unmanaged forests, so finding innovative solutions to manage forests is yet another vital factor to fighting the threat of climate change. The good news is that after every harvest of a Christmas tree, farmers plant three more trees in its place. According to The Nature Conservancy, “We can cut more than 30 percent of the carbon emissions needed to slow climate change with natural solutions like restoring our forests.” Buying real Christmas trees not only is natural and has a great smell, but it also helps impact a major issue arising across the world in climate change.

There are many benefits and drawbacks towards both real and fake Christmas trees. Freshman Declan Johnson said “I would prefer a real Christmas tree because they smell good and they have a nice pine smell.” He went on to add, “I also really like the feel of them and they also look much better than fake trees.” Also, Junior Caylee Brown says “I would prefer a real Christmas tree because of the smell of it and how it’s very full.” Christmas trees are a very big part of the Christmas holiday. It not only brings families together, but can help save the planet, too.