Issaquah Women’s Soccer Loses 3-2 to Skyline

Zach Sevart, Staff Writer

The Issaquah Eagles lost 2-3 against the Skyline Spartans on Oct. 7th after going into overtime, making their conference record 4-2. In the first half, both teams played with intensity right away. After multiple runs up and down the field, Skyline scored their first goal 13 minutes in. Issaquah, now down 1-0, hit Skyline’s defense hard, taking multiple shot attempts before junior Helen Lisin scored Issaquah’s first goal right before the end of the first half.

Most of the second half was quiet until sophomore Ella Witherspoon scored a goal for Issaquah, giving them a 2-1 lead. Issaquah had 10 minutes left to maintain their lead to secure another win, but after some solid saves by Issaquah’s goalkeeper, Skyline was able to score another goal, bringing the score to 2-2 at the end of the second half.

Overtime began with Skyline missing two wide open goals, giving Issaquah another chance to take the lead. Skyline then scored their third goal with five minutes left in overtime. After a Skyline foul, Issaquah got a free kick with less than two minutes left. Junior Shelby Runje took a near perfect shot over Skyline’s defense, which was miraculously saved by Skyline’s goalkeeper. The game finished with Issaquah losing to Skyline 3-2.

After the game, Senior Harper Frye states, “I thought we played really well. Everyone on the team fought hard. It’s disappointing that they came out on top. It was the most exciting soccer game I have ever played, but we were all crushed by the outcome.” Senior Lauren Lailey says, “Honestly, I thought we played great. That specific game is always super aggressive and emotions are high, and I thought we did a great job staying focused the whole time. I couldn’t have asked for anything more from the girls. All we ask for is 100% effort and we got that for sure.” Libby Yoon states, “I am very confident in the team for the rest of the season. The girls have been playing so well and I truly believe our tight team chemistry will help us go far. There is so much talent on the team and if everyone gives their best, nothing will stop us.”

Some standout players include Runje, who did a great job pushing the ball up the field and splitting the defense which gave Issaquah multiple opportunities to score. Additionally, senior Lucy Bentsen did a great job defending Skyline’s forwards from taking easy shots on goal.