Issaquah Girls C-Team Purple Soccer Dominate the Spartans in a 5-0 win

Kellan Odegard, Staff Writer

Monday, Oct. 4, the Issaquah Girls Purple C-team soccer faced off in a rivalry game against Skyline. The Eagles came out with a shutout win, scoring five goals with a corner kick by team captain sophomore, Sallie Thieme made for a perfect header by freshman Abby Cameron to take the lead in the first half. The Eagles would then go on to score once more before halftime when freshman Kaitlin Pelly got past Skyline’s defense and scored, taking the Eagles into halftime 2-0. 

The Eagles had gone into the same situation being up 2-0 at half against Skyline earlier in the season and went on to lose 4-2 so the Eagles knew the game was not over yet. Co-captain Freshman Katie Bendt expressed the team’s halftime mindset saying, “We knew we couldn’t let off the gas, we had to go out in the second half with a clean mind and take the second half as if it was 0-0.” The Eagles were not going to let history repeat itself, especially not against the rivals. The Eagles did just what they needed to do and did not let the two goal lead affect their playing as they came out the gate with an amazing goal by freshman Jemina Tamblyn as well as a incredible shutout save by junior goalkeeper Isabel Migoya keeping the Spartans scoreless and down 3-0. 

The Eagles were not finished though; freshman Dani Menser and freshman Cameren Loney each scored goals before the end of the game, giving the Spartans a well deserved redemption game from their previous meeting. Coach Demaree Kieburtz after the game emphasized the fact that “the team did what we needed to do. We just had to block out who they were and play our game the way we planned all week. And we did that, we kept their best player in check and had very good off-ball movement and our defense played outstanding holding them to no goals.” 

The Eagles played extremely well the whole game and dominated the Spartans from start to finish and made it clear who would be ending that game on top. Thieme said, “It was a very big game for us. We showed that we can play at an elite level from start to finish and I think we figured out how good we can be when we all work together and are on the same page.” This win brought the Eagles to 3-2-3. 

They play Puyallup High School on Saturday in which they plan on keeping the elite performance on the field rolling.