Girls’ Varsity Soccer Beats Lake Stevens

Carly Woodfield, Staff Writer

On Sept.16th the Issaquah varsity girls’ soccer team secured their second win of the season beating Lake Stevens with a score of 5-0.

Some key players in the game were senior Jensyn Lins, juniors Helen Lisin and Shelby Runje. They all scored goals and were good team players. Everybody had great team work through the game and worked cohesively together to achieve a great win. 

IHS senior Lucy Bentsen says, “It was still 0-0 at halftime so we really turned it around in the second half. I think we played well, we really started scoring goals in the second half. Defense did a good job keeping a shut out throughout the game.” 

IHS sophomore Maggie Dutra, “I think it was crucial we scored at the beginning of the second half that way we could put four more on.” 

Coach Jason Lichtenberger says “We controlled the majority of the game and constantly put pressure on our opponent. We were tied 0-0 at halftime, and I challenged the girls to elevate their game to get the victory we deserved, and it was great to see them respond with 5 goals in the second half. We have had a fantastic start to the season, and I am looking forward to the growth of this team as we take on a very challenging KingCo league schedule.”

Overall, it seems that the girls on varsity soccer have a really good attitude towards their team and have good spirit. Being able to work together as a team really made a difference and helped the girls achieve their second win of the season. The team has been able to score many goals in their games so far this season and have had a strong defense holding Lake Stevens to no goals. 

Come support the girls at their next game at 7:30p.m. Tuesday Sept. 21 in a home game at the Issaquah High School stadium. The Issaquah Eagles will be playing Bothell/Inglemoor Cougars; they have a record of 1-2, so it should be a good match against the 2-1 Eagles.