Sexual Assault in Our Society 

Lauren Kosich, Staff Writer

According to the National Sexual Violence Resource Center (NSVRC), approximately one in five women in the United States have been a victim of sexual assault. Sexual assault is a very big problem in our society to this day but unfortunately it is quite common as well. Sexual assault can happen to males too, but most often occurs to women. It is essentially something young girls are taught to expect and prepare for, learning how to protect themselves if they ever do get assaulted. It is almost like a normal thing in our society and it should be like that at all. Instead of being fearful to go out alone or having the constant fear of being assaulted that women face consistently, we should educate and teach people, especially kids, about respecting boundaries and mutual consent. 

The term sexual assault refers to sexual contact or behavior that occurs without clear consent from the victim. According to Rape, Abuse, and Incest National Network (RAINN), “Some forms of sexual assault include; attempted rape/penetration, unwanted sexual touching, forcing the victim into sexual acts. The majority of perpetrators are someone known to the victim.” Approximately eight out of 10sexual assaults are committed by someone known to the victim, such as in the case of intimate partner sexual violence or acquaintance rape.

Often times with acquaintance rape (which is when it is someone known to the victim), at a bar for example, the assaulter will secretly drop a drug of some sort in the victim’s drink. Marshall University and the West Virginia Foundation for Rape Information and Services states, “When the drug dissolves, it is odorless. It may be colorless, or may leave a bluish colored residue, and it may also be tasteless. Often, these drugs cause amnesia, and you cannot remember what happened and who assaulted you.” Besides dissolvable drugs like ‘roofies,’ alcohol is also very commonly used to facilitate the perpratation of sexual assault. A person who is intoxicated or under the influence of drugs or alcohol cannot legally consent. 

Explicit consent to any and every sexual activity as well as respecting people’s boundaries and limits is vital to the reduction and prevention of sexual assault. Consent is never implied and cannot be assumed, even in a relationship. Micheal Silvers claims, “The best way to be clear about sexual boundaries is to talk about them before physical contact begins, so no one is confused in the heat of the moment.” The absence of a “no” does not mean “yes.” 

For example, some things that are not consent include not saying anything, having consented before, being in a relationship, being under the influence, not fighting back, and provocative clothing, body language, and attitude. 

An excuse that has been very frequently said by assaulters is something like, “She was asking for it wearing that.” A woman’s clothing choices, attitude, body language, or flirting. has absolutely nothing to do with being assaulted. There is never a situation where a woman should be forced upon just because of what she is wearing or how she is acting. This is a big misconception and it makes women feel like they cannot wear what they want to because of the supposed dangers that can come with it. However, it has nothing to do with clothing. Even if that were the case, it is no one’s place to interfere with someone else’s body if they did not give their clear consent. 

Sophomore Anisa Maggiore says, “In reality, with the issue of men’s emotions being suppressed just for being men, and toxic masculinities affects, we have a long way to go in unrooting the unrealistic standards of men and we have to recognize that no matter who you are, regardless of gender identity, race, sexual orientation, or age, sexual assault needs to be taken seriously and if someone claims to have been sexually assaulted, it’s our job to hear them as they speak up.” 

If someone you know or even you experienced this, there are a multitude of ways to get the support needed. Maggiore states, “As terrifying as it is, especially trying to handle the big feelings that come with sexual assault on your own, as a victim, it’s critical to everyone around you that you get the help you need and make sure something is done about it.” Sexual assault can come with many overwhelming and vulnerable feelings, but it is very important to speak out and take action, especially getting the help you need. Holy Names Academy sophomore Lauren Chan says, “It is a very hard topic to talk about and after it happens because it is so traumatizing but trying to talk to someone you trust and are close with.” Tonya Lafollette says, “Every person handles things differently. It is up to us to make resources available if they are needed for counseling and legal services. They need to know that assault is violent. If a sexual act turns violent or makes them uncomfortable…they have the right to walk away safely.  They need to know that being assaulted is not their fault.” 

Victims often believe it is their fault that they got harassed or assaulted. It is very important to know it is never the victim’s fault, regardless of what was happening, their actions, clothing, mannerisms. Additionally, remembering that no means no. Not maybe, not later, no. 

Going forward, I think we as a community need to take more preventive measures to raise awareness and completely stop or at least drastically minimize sexual assault. We can achieve this by teaching not only everyone in our communities, but especially children about the importance of mutual consent and respecting people’s boundaries and limits. Women should not have to be scared all the time and just be prepared for it to happen. Stand strong, raise your voice, and even if it seems like nobody’s listening, keep yelling until you are heard. You deserve to be seen.