“To All the Boys: P.S. I Still Love You” Total Let Down

Paisha Watkins, Staff Writer

The hit movie, “To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before,” was released on Aug. 17, 2018 and instantly became the top movie of the summer. Now, over a year later, it’s sequel has come out, “To All the Boys: P.S. I Still Love You. To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before” was the highlight of almost every teen girls’ summer, as it came out a few months after the first teen rom-com of the summer, “The Kissing Booth.”. The “To All the Boys” movie series is based off of the books by Jenny Han where Lara Jean, a young girl in high school, secretly writes love letters to all of her crushes throughout her life and keeps them in a box in her room. However, one day her little sister sends these letters out and things start to get interesting. In the first movie, viewers were able to see Lana Condor play the lovable, innocent, Lara Jean Covey, and teen heartthrob, Noah Centineo, as the ‘player,’ Peter Kavinsky. In the movie, they begin to pretend to date so Peter can make his ex-girlfriend jealous and Lara Jean can get out of an uncomfortable situation with her sister’s ex-boyfriend—the perfect plot for a teen rom-com.

The first movie ended with Peter and Lara Jean actually falling in love and dating, a truly happy ending. However, in the last minute of the movie, a boy appeared at Lara Jean’s door with a love letter addressed to John Ambrose, another boy she sent a letter to. This shocked viewers, leaving them with the ultimate cliffhanger.

As over a year went by, fans impatiently awaited the release of the second movie, and now is here. With so much hype surrounding the movie, I personally was extremely excited. So, the day of its release, Feb. 12, I settled in with my snacks for the night with a movie I expected to be my new favorite. As someone who watched the first movie over four times, I may have expected too much because I was extremely disappointed. In fact, the only reason I finished the movie was to write this article. As the movie progressed, I watched as Lara Jean continuously led John Ambrose on as she was dating Peter, yet proceeded to take a break from Peter when he hugged his ex. The character’s relationships were hard to watch and even cringey at times. I thought that in this movie, Lara Jean repeatedly played the victim, which was tiring to watch.

SPOILER ALERT: At the end of the movie, although it seemed Lara Jean and John Ambrose were going to end up together, Lara Jean and Peter got back together. The ending of the movie left off exactly where the ending to “To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before” did, making “P.S I Still Love You” virtually unnecessary. Overall, this movie was a total let down. Not only were the characters ten times more annoying and predictable, but the plot itself was executed poorly. I definitely will not be taking the time to watch this movie again and I would not recommend for anyone else to either. The third movie will probably come out in a year from now, and hopefully it will live up to the standard of the first and exceed that of the second. Overall, my final rate of “P.S I Still Love You” is 2.5/5.