Shooting Tragedy in Seattle

Ben Eskenazi

SAFE IN SEATTLE? This tragedy has affected the people of Seattle as well as the point of view for Seattle. This affects everyone from tourists to people living in Washington.

Rama Bah, Staff Writer

On Wednesday, Jan. 22, a shooting occurred in Downtown Seattle. Jamel Linoell Jackson, Marquise Latrelle Tolbert, and William Ray Tolliver were all suspects in this shooting that injured seven people including a 9-year-old boy and killed a woman. This shooting occurred on Third Avenue and Pine Street around Pike Place Market. It was the third shooting that day in Downtown Seattle.

According to spokesperson Susan Gregg, at Harborview Medical Center, a nine-year-old boy came to the hospital in serious condition and improved to satisfactory condition Wednesday night. He remained there in state until Thursday morning. A 55-year-old woman was in critical condition Wednesday night when she arrived at Harborview; on Thursday morning, she was upgraded to serious condition and stays in intensive care, Gregg said. A 32-year-old man also spent the night in the hospital and was in satisfactory condition. Four men, ages 21, 34, 35 and 49, were treated and released Wednesday evening.

The victims had gunshot wounds to the legs, chest, buttocks, and abdomen. The woman who died at the scene was in her forties, according to Fire Department spokesperson David Cuerpo. A body under a sheet was visible on the sidewalk outside McDonald’s. Officers declared to the public that this was a part of a gang dispute and guns went off.

This type of tragedy is hard for people to see, especially if they are close to it. How does this make resident feel about Seattle? Sophomore Synia Williams did not hear about the shooting, but when she was told she said that she does not feel safe in Seattle with all these shootings happening and thinks that people who are not the right age are getting a hold on these guns. John Morris a Senior at Issaquah High stated, “As it is a tourist destination, and this tragedy happening, it probably changes the view of how safe Seattle is and what happens here.”

Freshman, Izzy Migoya, did not know about the shooting until a friend told her. “I think this happened because of how easy it is for people to get guns. Gun control isn’t extraordinarily strong, and it makes guns very accessible to people, who can hurt others.” In a way to help catch criminals, Q13 News has a hotline that can help the police with cases where people can remain anonymous and get a cash reward up to $1000, depending if the tip given has helped the case. “It’s a clever idea to have this so we can catch criminals faster and get them off the streets.” Migoya said. Junior Avery Marbut says that the shooting was a terrible thing to happen. “It’s sad that this shooting is close to home. This changes the perspective of Seattle and makes me more conscious of my surroundings.” Marbut states that the shooting was a terrible thing to happen to everyone far and near.

The suspects later fled to Las Vegas where they were later arrested and booked into a Las Vegas Jail on Feb. 1.  Tolliver and Jackson were transported to Seattle on Jan. 11. Junior Avery Marbut says that the shooting was a terrible thing to happen. “It’s sad that this shooting is awfully close to home. This changes the perspective of Seattle and makes me more conscious of my surroundings.”