2020 Travel Guide

Sydney Hansen

FIND OUT WHERE TO TRAVEL THIS YEAR! From the beach, to the mountains, to the city, see where the top spots are and plan your next trip!

Paisha Watkins, Staff Writer

Saint Augustine once said that “the world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.” Traveling is an enriching experience where you can surround yourself in new languages, cultures, and people. As spring and summer break are just around the corner, the peak seasons for traveling are coming up. Have you been looking for a place to go? Whether you are looking for a beach vacation, mountain trip, city scene, or a place to immerse yourself in a different culture, this is your guide to your next travel destination.

If the hot sun beating down on you as you lay on the cool sand listening to the ocean breeze sounds appealing to you, then consider a beach vacation to Hawaii or Mexico. Freshman Mason Tam goes to Hawaii almost every year and will be going for his seventh time this spring break. Tam says he prefers going somewhere warm over breaks and hanging out at the beach, swimming and relaxing. Senior Jack Githens agrees, saying, “My favorite place I have been to is probably Hawaii. I love the heat but also that you’re always by the water to cool off. I also really like the food.” CNN Travel explains that if you are traveling to Hawaii, you should splurge on an adventure. “Whether you fancy diving deep into the sea, soaring over waterfalls on a helicopter tour, or a kayak trip along the Na Pali Coast, treat yourself to at least one adventure.” However, they also explain that Hawaii can be a pretty expensive trip, so if you are looking for something more cost-efficient, this is not the trip for you. If you still want that warm beach vacation but something more in the budget, U.S. News Travel suggests Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, as the #1 cheap spring break destination. Puerto Vallarta is an elegant and efficient small-town oceanfront that features dozens of restaurants and boutiques. Another popular warm spring break destination is Cancun, Mexico. U.S News Travel says Cancun is “a go-to spot for beaches, golfing and nightlife. Cancún also remains one of the most affordable vacation destinations in the Western Hemisphere, even during the self-indulgent spring break season.” Enjoy the numerous beaches, parasailing, jet skiing, or historic sites like Chichén Itzá when traveling to Cancun.

If hot sticky weather does not sound like an ideal vacation for you and you prefer the white, snowy atmosphere, then consider a mountain trip. Family Vacation Critic named Park City, Utah, the number one best U.S. family vacation spot for 2020. It is one of the best and largest skiing and snowboarding locations with “wide-open, gentle slopes, ideal for newbies… Utah’s longest snow tubing lanes, a range of trails for everyone…and indoor and outdoor facilities for skateboarding, BMX, and scooter.” Githens says another destination he enjoys is Rapid City, South Dakota. “I enjoyed skiing up there and also they had surprisingly really good food,” he explains. If you are looking for a snow sport destination this year, check out the slopes of Utah or South Dakota.

If a big city filled with millions of people, thousands of cultures, and great food and sights sounds appealing to you, then check out one of the many cities the U.S. has to offer. One of the most popular vacation destinations is New York City. Junior Ally Tebbe travels there at least twice every year to tour and stay at colleges such as Columbia, hang out with friends, and explore the city. Tebbe explains, “I love going to New York. I really like the vibe and it is definitely one of my favorite places.” Over mid-winter break she will be going to New York and Boston. This summer, P.E. teacher Brandon Fortier will be going to New York with the lacrosse team and his family. He says he is really looking forward to it as they will not only be exploring and hanging out in the city, but visiting Westpoint and attending an Army versus Navy game. From exploring the parks, Times Square, touring museums, or going to see a Broadway show, New York has a lot to offer no matter the season.

If you are looking to get out of the U.S. and see the beautiful sights of Europe, you are not alone. Githens says he has always wanted to go to Europe as he has only ever been to Canada. Tebbe says her top bucket list destination is Turkey. She says, “I want to go somewhere that is not travelled to very much. I like fitting in with the locals.” According to Lonely Planet, Salzburg, Austria, is the top city to travel to this year. From it’s historic buildings and mountainous landscape, the culture and excitement in Salzburg will make you want to stay forever. What is so special this year is that the annual Salzburg Festival is turning 100 years old. This festival features plays, readings, concerts, and performances of people throughout the city and with the festival turning 100, it will be the biggest and most exciting one yet. Another European favorite is Paris, France. Trvl Channel named Paris as the number one vacation spot saying, “You can spend months in Paris and barely scratch the surface…It has museums galore, stellar shopping and busy cafés perfect for people-watching.” If you are looking for a city not only rich in culture but in beauty and fun as well, then Paris is the destination for you. Climb the Eiffel Tower and explore the city for everything it holds, it is impossible to find a boring street. Fortier shared details of his amazing travels and how last year he explored Italy and Croatia. He drove through the countries and said he had the most amazing experience from the beautiful sights, to the delicious food he ate, to the inspiring people he met. Now, he says his number one bucket list place is Fiji or somewhere in the South Pacific.

If you are looking for a home away from home trip, consider visiting family this year. Sophomore Audrey Mael says she normally does not travel over break but she does typically have family reunions in Eastern Washington. This yearly tradition is one of her favorites as she gets to relax away from her actual home, but also be surrounded by the people she loves.

Overall, there are endless opportunities for the places you could go this year. Whether you go thousands of miles away or just a few, the world is at your fingertips, so, explore it, and safe travels!