U.S./Iran Tension in the New Year

Maverick Mendoza

U.S./IRAN TENSIONS: Tensions grew over the last month between the two countries following a drone strike on Iran by the US, which killed a commander. Iran retaliated with missile strikes on US bases in Iraq, and are calling for US troops to leave the Middle East.

Eric Bachman, Staff Writer

2020 has brought a new decade full of promise to many. A new decade, where the world is instantly connected through technology, a decade where humanity could prosper anew, bringing incredible improvements to humankind. Instead, the first weeks of the new decade brought the terrors of war with the peace of the world hanging in the balance between two countries: the United States and Iran. The back and forth between these two countries led to what was nearly a world war.

The tension started just three days after the beginning of the new year. On Jan. 3, President Donald Trump authorized a drone strike on a convoy in the Bagdhad International airport. The strike killed the popular Iranian commander, Qasem Soleimani, enraging Iran (CNN). The entire United Union disapproved of Trump’s actions. Trump called for other countries to pull out of the Iran Nuclear Missile Deal. Iran retaliated on Jan. 8 by launching Operation Martyr Soleimani, which involved launching ballistic missiles on U.S. bases in Iraq. 34 U.S. military personnel were injured and the bases sustained minimal damage. The world teetered on the edge of war.

“Waging war is, in general, up to any country’s discretion,” said senior Reuben Doyle-Newe. With Iran furious, and the U.S. bases having just been attacked, war was beginning to seem increasingly likely. On the topic of whether the actions taken could be treated as an act of war, junior Angelina Chin says, “They both could be, ” Trump tried to deescalate the situation with Iran, but at the same time, imposed more sanctions, and called once more for NATO countries to leave the nuclear deal according to Le Monde. Meanwhile, Iran also tried to deescalate. Luckily for the world, they did not blame the U.S. for the drone strikes and put the blame squarely on Trump’s shoulders. There are currently two bounties for Trump’s head in Iran. One for $80 million and another for $3 million.

All the same, “it is pretty sad they launched the missiles, as the intent was to harm,” says sophomore Justice Baker. The world certainly dodged a bullet with this issue, and all in all, not too many were harmed. It raises a question, however. Are we overdue for a world war? Freshman Siena Kingsley said, “I want to say no, but maybe we are.”