Boys’ Swim and Dive Meet Takes an Interesting Turn

Sydney Hancock

BOYS SWIVE MEET VS. LIBERTY Robert Gref soaring splashlessly into the pool.

Paisha Watkins, Staff Writer

Issaquah High School had a first meet like no other on Dec. 6, where in the end; the meet had to be pushed to a later date after a contamination in the pool.

The permeating smell of chlorine surrounded the stands of the pool as the splashes of practicing divers plunging into the deep-water filled ears. Issaquah Boys’ Swim and Dive was preparing for their first meet of the year against Liberty High School. The pool quickly became a contrast between purple and blue swim caps as the teams began warming up in the pool. Purple lined on the left side of the pool and blue on the right, both teams watched as the divers of both schools gathered for the diving portion of the meet. First time diver, senior, Parker Seng stated, “I was really nervous about messing up but once you’re on the diving board about to go in that nervousness starts to fade” Parker ended up being one of the top scorers in diving scoring an eight in front-flip dive. One notable diver of the meet was Robert Gref who impressed the pool with his elegant technique, scoring up to a nine and a half, the highest score of the meet.

As the meet went on, only three events out of twelve could be completed before the lifeguard called the meet off due to pool regulations. However, Issaquah won both the first event, the 200 medley relay, and the 200 IM, placing them with high expectations for the rest of the meet. One swim captain Jack Githens explained his goals saying “Next meet I hope we come back with the same intensity.” Overall, with such high energy from the boys they are looking to have a great season ahead of them. Coach Laura Halter noted on how her goals going into the meet were to increase the team’s unity by having the boys come together as a team. For now, Halter is focusing on keeping the boys healthy and ready for their next meet, which is against Newport on Dec. 19. Be sure to come out and support!