Issaquah Girls’ Gymnastics Places Second in Their First Meet

Maverick Mendoza

ON THEIR WAY TO VICTORY Issaquah Girls’ Gymnastics places second in their very first meet of the season. Pictured is Hannah Munson, one of the very talented gymnasts on the team.

Harper Frye, Staff Writer

On Thursday, Dec. 5, our Issaquah girls’ gymnastics team had their very first meet of the winter season. They strongly placed second overall, defeating Mercer Island High School and Redmond High School. Although their win against Mercer Island High School does not count because they are 3A, which is a lower division, the girls are still very proud. Their score came very close to North Creek’s, but they were unable to secure the win. Sophomore Charlotte Bagel says, “Our team score came very close to that of North Creek’s, which says a lot about our performance, seeing as most schools don’t get very close to North Creek’s team score.”

The girls had impressive performances on vault, bars, and floor, but struggled with the beam. Bagel says, “We had some falls on beam, but we were able to look back over our routines and critique how we can decrease the falls.” Only ten gymnasts competed in the meet, one of which was sophomore Hannah Munson, who had an amazing overall performance. Munson says, “I love floor. I love [that] at meets, they always put the music really loud so it’s really fun,”

Coach Ryan Fleisher also thought her team had an amazing first meet. She says, “We are looking forward to seeing how far this team can go and how much improvement they can make.” The gymnasts are working to perfect their routines by their next meet, make sure to catch one before the season ends! Their next home meet is Thurs. Dec. 12 at 7:00 p.m.