Melanie Martinez’s “K-12” Delivers Relatable Lyrics

Rama Bah, Staff Writer

The Melanie Martinez “K-12” album is one of the best albums that I have heard in a while. She focuses on real life teenage and young adult topics. For example, how teenage girls cannot wear anything provocative because it might distracting.  Or how girls are being peer pressured to make themselves skinnier. We have been through some of these situations at some point.

My favorite song of her’s is “Drama Club.” The meaning of this song is how people only live in the world that they want to live in, like how drama isn’t everything in life and it doesn’t make your life better. It isn’t your true self and not faking who you are.. This is Martinez’s first studio album in 4 years and this album came with a film with all these songs involved.

This album has made me realize what I have been going through in high school without even knowing, like how not everyone you meet will be good for you. What made this fun to listen to is that the songs relate to what teenagers go through at home or school.

When I first listened to “K-12” I really related to it.  Each song is a different problem. “Lunchbox Friends” shows how people can have fake friends. This verse basically shows the meaning of “Lunchbox Friends:” “You said ‘Hey, girl, will you sit with me? Table in the back of Cafeteria C? We can be friends if you want to be but only till the clock hits three.” If you ever want something to relate to this album is the thing for you.

Warning: This album has some vulgar language.