Another Victory for Issaquah Girls’ Varsity Soccer

ANOTHER KNOCK-OUT FOR ISSAQUAH The girls varsity soccer team locked in huddle before their exhilarating 5-2 victory versus Newport.

Paisha Watkins, Staff Writer

An exciting win for Issaquah’s varsity girls’ soccer team occurred on the field last night at the home of the Newport Knights with a 5-2 victory. The first half posed an unlucky twist for Issaquah as every shot ricocheted off the goal post and back into the clutches of the Newport defense. It was not until during the 13th minute that junior Jaden Humbyrd shot a brilliant goal across the 18’ into the right corner of the net that the game truly began.

This game was seen to be an easy win for Issaquah before the game even began because of Issaquah’s high reputation. However, this was not the case during the first half when Newport scored an impressive goal on Issaquah, creating a 1-1 tie. Junior Lily Medway said, “I think we have had a lot of chances on goal and it looks like we are building up to something, unfortunately we are tied right now but I think our comeback is coming.” Coincidentally, sophomore Chloe Feyerick placed a perfect ball into the top corner of the net right as Medway finished her sentence, giving Issaquah a 2-1 lead against Newport.

The exhilarating game continued as shots flew across the field with stunning kicks from senior defenders Riley Larsen and Emma Spiegel. The defense’s aggressiveness and quick feet are what kept Newport out of the box and blocked each shot they attempted to place. In the end, Issaquah showed another impressive victory, winning 5-2 against the Knights.

When asked how he felt about the final score of the game, Head Coach Tatro said, “It was an exciting game and we had a lot of opportunities. I’m excited about what we were able to put together especially coming out of last week, the girls showed a lot of improvement.” Tatro is referring to Issaquah’s 5-1 loss against Puyallup last week. However, this epic win against Newport has proven their resilience and determination which they will take into their game next week against Inglemoor.