Senior Sports Hall of Fame

Ryan Carragher & Camden Jeske, Staff Writer

Boys Cross Country- Sam Griffith

Sam Griffith was a three year varsity athlete for Cross Country as well as captain his senior year. During his time at Issaquah High, Griffith was an invaluable member of the cross country team with his commitment to helping himself and others improve. According to coach Gwen Robertson, “[Griffith] competed at the State Championships his sophomore through senior seasons and earned All-Kingco and All-State Honors his senior year. In addition, Sam was invited to run at Border Clash (Washington vs. Oregon) in 2018. Sam will run at WSU next year.”

Girls Cross Country- Katie Riley

Katie Riley was a four year varsity athlete for Cross Country, even competing at the State Cross Country Championships in all four years, as well as captain her senior year. During Riley’s time at Issaquah High, she became known for her passion for running and her commitment to support her peers through races and training. According to coach Gwen Robertson, “[Riley] earned All-Kingco Honors several times and was named All-State her sophomore year. During her sophomore year, she competed at the Border Clash race in Portland, Oregon after winner the State 4A Championship Team Title. [Riley] was also voted Team Captain during her senior season. She will continue her running career next year at Lafayette College.”

Gymnastics- Jasmine Maynard-Zhang

Jasmine Maynard-Zhang was the gymnastics team captain. She was been a member of the team for three years.  According to Coach Ryan Fleisher, “She is a very hard worker and has improved a ton each year.” As captain  Maynard-Zhang was also a great leader.  Fleisher says, “She is kind-hearted and so thoughtful.” Maynard-Zhang has been a Scholar Athlete all three years and was a Winter Tutta Bella Athlete award recipient this year.

Boys Soccer- Taiga Crenshaw

Taiga Crenshaw was a three year varsity athlete for the Boy’s Soccer team, helping lead the team to state playoffs two out of the three years. Crenshaw was known throughout the entire soccer program during his time at Issaquah High as being a technically gifted player who was always willing to put in the work to improve on and off the field. According to coach Kyle Tatro, “[Crenshaw] was nominated to the KingCo First team honors in his first season.  In that year he was a vital participant in securing our advancement to playoffs.  Scoring one of the more memorable goals in my high school career.  He will always be remembered for his late game heroics against Bothell.  His Junior year he was elected to represent KingCo a second team nomination.  His senior year Taiga was nominated to be a first team honoree.  Taiga’s commitment to excellence has helped establish the program as an elite and formidable opponent.  His technical abilities with the ball at his feet are unmatched by many.  He is a player that has the potential to turn ordinary into extraordinary.”

Girls Soccer- Kate Wilkinson

Kate Wilkinson was a three year varsity athlete for the Girl’s Soccer team, as well as a team captain her senior year. Wilkinson was given a KingCo honorable mention her first year in the program, and then proceeded to be named in the KingCo first team, named KingCo defensive MVP, named to the first team all state in her next two seasons, and even named an All American. “[Wilkinson] is a great player and person. Helping to lead her team to another state semi-final in her senior season.  She is also a multi-sport athlete competing at the top level in our league. She is a skillful, powerful defender that commands the field.  Her presence on the field will be greatly missed.”

Boys Swim – Mikey Redding

Mikey Redding was a varsity captain for the team, and was a great role model for the underclassmen to follow. According to Coach Halter, “[Redding] qualified for KingCo in his senior year, and was a successful leader of the team. Mikey was the perfect example of a captain continuing to work hard in his position of leadership. He was always incredibly kind and welcoming to everyone on the team, and we will miss him in the program in years to come!

Girls Swim – Natalie Sun

Natalie Sun was a great swimmer in our program, making it to State all four years. In her senior year as a captain, she was positive and helpful with all of the underclassmen, helping them learn and grow as people. According to coach Halter, “as a senior captain, [Sun] maintained her good form from recent years and made the state competition again, as well as being a great leader for any and all underclassmen and her peers. She’s a great role model and we’ll miss her in years to come!

Football – Simon Treppenhauer

Simon Treppenhauer was a three year varsity athlete for football. He will always be remembered at Issaquah High for his constant pursuit for self improvement in everything he does. According to coach Bland, “Simon Treppenhauer is a tremendous football player, an exceptional student and a loyal servant to our school and local community. Simon has unlimited potential and demonstrated high character qualities of determination, perseverance and loyalty. Most importantly, he will do whatever it takes to help his family, his team, and his fellow man.”

Basketball – Asa Taylor

According to coach Valentine, “Asa Taylor was a great player for the men’s team this year, leading the team in scoring with an average of 14 points per game, including a 31 point game in a regional clinching game.” He was fantastic for the team, and we’ll miss him for years to come. Asa is continuing his basketball career at Colorado NW University.

Girls Golf – Jeemin Nam

Jeemin Nam was a four year Varsity athlete and one of the top golfers on the team all four years. She helped the team to back-to-back undefeated KingCo titles, as well as being a big part of the team that brought back a third place State trophy this year. According to coach Bakamus, “as a two year co-captain, Nam has been a great role model and a great help in teaching the underclassmen. We’ll miss her for the next years to come!”

Boys Golf – Ryan Barrett

Ryan has been on the golf team 4 years, and spent the last 3 on Varsity. According to coach Bakamus, “[Barrett] was a consistent scorer for us his senior year and our Most Inspirational golfer for the second year in a row.  He always had a positive attitude no matter how things were going, win or lose he was a true sportsman and represented the golf team well as a captain and a star player.

Baseball – Tyler Odegard

Tyler Odegard was our team Captain this past year. He was always the 1st person at practice and the last to leave. According to Coach Reese, “[Odegard] helped lead our team to a 3rd place finish at the State tournament. Tyler was selected 1st Team All Kingco and 2nd Team All State. He is going to continue his career playing baseball at Big Bend CC next year.” Thank you for everything Tyler, you will be remembered at Issaquah High for many years to come.

Volleyball – Char Emerson

Char Emerson is the volleyball nominee. According to coach Reese, “Char is a well rounded athlete, not only working hard in the classroom but always working to be the best she can on the court. As one of our seniors she led the team from the front, helping us make it to the state tournament. She is a wonderful teammate who always lifts her team up but also pushes them to make them better.” Thank you Char, and we’ll miss you next year.

Girls Basketball – Luci Stewart

Luci has played on the varsity basketball team since arriving her sophomore year.  She has been a first team all Kingco selection every year.  She led our team in points scored all three years, field goal percentage, three point field goal percentage, free throw percentage, and steals. According to coach Bykonen, “[Stewart] is an excellent student and athlete, and is a role model for her teammates and peers.”

Boys Track – Simon Treppenhauer

Simon Treppenhauer was a three year varsity athlete for Track and Field. He will be remembered at Issaquah High for years to come for his never ending pursuit of self improvement, and his infectiously always positive attitude. Per coach Silva, “Simon Treppenhauer is a rare combination of talent and coachability. His natural leadership skills have allowed him to overcome physical setbacks to become a three-year letterman in Track and Field at IHS, finish 8th at the State Championship Meet in the Javelin in 2019, and complete his high school career with an IHS All-Time Top 5 mark in the javelin (182’11”).”

Girls Track – Emma Jordan

Emma Jordan we have had the pleasure of working with Emma these past 4 years where she has been a reliable and consistent contributor to the women’s team.  Emma qualified all 4 years for the KingCo championships in the 1600m. Not only a miler but a 3200m runner and member of several 4x400m relay teams. According to coach Gwen, “[Jordan] maintains a mature outlook and is very coachable.  Emma will continue next fall with her running career at Colorado State University.”

Boys tennis – Kobe Sarausad

Kobe Sarausad was a four year varsity athlete for the Tennis team as well as captain his senior year. According to coach Nam, “Along with being a great leader on the court, he has also been a great role model for the rest of the team.” Sarausad will be remembered at Issaquah High for his persistence to strive for greatness as well as his calmness in the face of adversity on the tennis court.  

Girls Tennis –  Sayaka Kenmochi.

Girls tennis selected Sayaka Kenmochi to be the nominee for the senior hall of fame. According to coach Nam, “Sayaka was also a captain as a senior this past season.  She was a fierce player on the court and showed great leadership as the captain. She took charge of the team fundraiser and was a great communicator to the team.” Thank you for everything Sayaka, you will be missed in years to come.