Issaquah Boys’ Swim & Dive Loses to Skyline

Camden Jeske, Staff Writer

Issaquah Boys’ Swim and Dive took a tough loss on Thursday, Jan. 17, to undefeated Skyline. In the words of Coach Laura Halter, it was “a very powerful Skyline team.” This loss drops Issaquah to a record of three wins and two losses, eighth overall, with two meets left. Skyline is currently second overall but that didn’t stop the Eagles from “[swimming] great and hard until the very end,” said Halter, as the meet finished Issaquah 73, Skyline 103. Despite the disappointing loss, there were plenty of bright spots as Freshman Robert Gref continues to be undefeated in diving and even broke his own school record, and Junior Adam Hansen won the 500 free and qualified for state. All in all the boys swam well against a Skyline team that has annihilated every opponent they have come up against this year.

This meet was also the Eagle’s senior night, where according to senior Blake Ueda, “the captains and Cameron Ray were recognized for their time in the program.” All the boys were given posters with their name on them as they stood up on the starting blocks, and waited as their fellow teammates were called out and recognized in front of friends and family members. Each of the seniors had smiles on their faces the whole time, and it was clear to everyone watching that this team means a lot to each and every senior who comes through the program. The atmosphere through the whole event was very happy and upbeat as the swimmers went through their races.

When asked about what the team means to him as a senior, senior Mikey Redding responded with, “It is a really awesome experience to finish off high school. The other seniors and I get to set an example for the freshmen and new swimmers, while also enjoying our last year with teammates that we have competed with throughout high school. Overall a great team with great coaches.” From watching all the races you can really see how much the team means to all the boys, as they cheer each other on and support each other from the start of the diving event, to the very last swim race.

The boys still have two meets left this season and will be looking to finish off strong away against Bellevue and away against Interlake, before they take part in the district state qualifier on the 26th.