The Issaquah High Times

World Record Egg

Back to Article
Back to Article

World Record Egg

Ryan Barrett, Staff Writer

This past weekend, a picture of an egg on Instagram blew up and broke Instagram’s most liked picture record. The new world record photo is nothing but a stock picture of a single egg, but that did not stop it from getting over 45 million likes since its posting on Jan. 4, 2019. The Instagram account that posted this egg was under the name of @world_record_egg, and now has over 7 million followers on the platform. They have only posted one photo (the egg) and I do not believe they will be posting anymore. However, the account is very active on its Instagram story, which allows for temporary posts to go up and then be automatically deleted after 24 hours. On their story, they mostly post memes about their account.

The record was previously held by Kylie Jenner, with a picture of her newborn baby, Stormi. Jenner’s Instagram account has over 124 million followers, so she was able to accumulate over 18 million likes on the picture. Since the loss of her record, she has acknowledged it by making a post about it on her Instagram account on Jan. 13, 2019. This post featured an old video of her cracking an egg with the caption, “Take that, little egg.”

With the recent fame, the egg has put out merchandise that is available to buy though the link on its profile. It first released two T-shirts, one black and one white, that each cost $19.50. The shirts are plain with a simple text on the chest reading, “I liked the egg.” The egg has since come out with new merchandise featuring two more styles, but this time, it is offered in T-shirts and hoodies. I expect the egg to keep riding its fame and continue to put out more apparel in the near future.

Ryan Barrett, Staff Writer

Class of 2019, first-year journalist, Varsity golf captain although I probably shouldn’t be, avid listener of British grime music, and two sport varsity...