Acosta Battles For Pass Against The White House

Luka Kovac, Staff Writer

On Nov. 7 CNN’s Chief White House Correspondent, Jim Acosta, had a complication while attempting to ask President Trump about the number of people forming at the US border with Mexico. Trump did not feel inclined to answer the question that Acosta had asked. Acosta did not want to give up the opportunity to ask this question because there were no real comments about the situation at the U.S. southern border.

His refusal to give up the microphone aggravated Trump, which led to him making comments toward Acosta and CNN. Senior Douglas Lorenz says that because Trump was not giving answers to his pressing question, Acosta did not want to not give up the opportunity to get an answer. In attempt to stop Acosta from continuing to press his questions, a White House intern attempted to grab the microphone from Acosta.

Following all of this, the White House posted a video that had noticeable differences from the original video of the altercation. According to The Washington Post, the video that the White House had the speed of the video changed, zoomed into Acosta and the intern in addition to having the sound removed. Sophomore Benjamin Po agrees that the video looks sped up. The edited video depicted Acosta moving his hand in a aggressive manner toward the White House’s intern, but the original video showed that Acosta did not do so aggressively. Acosta even said a polite comment to the intern asking her to not grab the microphone out of his hand.

Syracuse.com says the White House got the edited video from Paul Joseph Watson. Watson is a known conspiracy theorist who has been involved with the recently discredited Alexander Emric Jones, host of the radio talk show, “Infowars.” Freshman Sophia Hashmey says that it is the White House’s way to “avoid the truth,” by using unreliable sources.

Acosta’s Press Pass into the White House, along with all his high level credentials, were all taken away from him.

CNN, supporting Acosta, took this to the federal court. According to The Hill, they claimed that it was a violation of his First Amendment rights. Specifically it was violating the freedom of press and speech because they stopped him from asking questions, simply because the president did not want to answer them. Junior Saphire Campbell agrees that Acostas journalism was not appropriate and, “It was inappropriate for them (the White House) to react that way.” The White House argued that Acosta’s actions were not of them that they have the right to revoke his credentials and cut off his reporting of the White House.

Under court order by Judge Timothy Kelly, a temporary pass was given to Acosta because of the White House’s inability to follow the rules involving due process and their inability to allow Acosta’s side the chance to refute the White House. Kelly has noted that the White House has not given specifics on the manner of who was involved in the revoking of Acosta’s press credentials.

Other news sources have begun to back Acosta, under the consensus that they believe the ability of free press should not be infringed upon by the government. Fox News, now titled as an entertainment source, instead of news, is backing CNN, despite being a strong Republican news source and having good relations with the President and his White House staff.

The Atlantic says the outcome of this case is seen as a victory for journalism and a reminder to the White House that they are a government agency and should behave as such. According to the Daily Beast, “Acosta was seen outside the courtroom on Friday, saying, ‘Let’s get back to work.’”