Eagles Girls’ Hoops Beats Liberty

Camden Jeske, Staff Writer

The Issaquah High Girls’ Varsity Basketball Team won their first game of the season 63-42 versus Liberty High last night with a truly dominant performance by the whole team. The Eagles led at the end of all fpur periods of play, keeping Liberty for the most part subdued throughout the whole game. Senior Luci Stewart was instrumental in the victory as she really helped orchestrate both the Eagles offense and defense, insuring that Liberty never got into any sort of rhythm with the ball. Sophomore Alivia Stephens-Kirkman also played a huge role in the victory as she put up 18 points, the most for the Eagles.

Coach Jackie Bykonen said that the win was due to “rebounding, making the extra pass, and balance scoring, as we had four players hit double figures.” While the team’s performance was excellent, according to Bykonen, the team can continue to build off the win by “becoming more disciplined on defense, making sure to get into position, and just increasing communication as a whole, on both sides of the ball.”

Freshman Shea Dillon also had her take on the win, as she said, “It was a really good team performance. We really were just able to out play them as a team. Because of how good we were playing we were able to pick up a lead during the second period and continue to build off of it for the rest of the game.” All of the Eagles played very well as freshman Keira Hanson, who said, “No one really had a bad game. Everyone played extremely well every time they stepped onto the court and it showed with the final score.”

Be sure to come out to the Eagle’s next home game, Saturday December 1st at 7:00 p.m., as the girls take on Meadowdale High and look to start the season with two wins out of two.