The Issaquah High Times

You’re a Success Mr. Grinch!

Back to Article
Back to Article

You’re a Success Mr. Grinch!

Hayley Lynch, Staff Writer

Just in time for the holiday season, “The Grinch” debuted on Friday November 9.
A retelling of the classic Dr. Seuss tale, it follows the adventures of the grumpy Grinch who plots to steal Christmas from Whoville with the help of his trusty dog Max and his new reindeer pal Fred. While “The Grinch” may not be entirely original, charming characters, vibrant animation, and a timeless storyline is sure to capture the hearts of audiences everywhere.

The driving force of the movie is the classic characters. The Grinch, played by Benedict Cumberbatch, is cranky, quirky, and hilarious as ever; his character both draws laughs and empathy out of the audience. The Grinch’s dog Max is the perfect side-character, a lovable pooch with a sweet personality and determination to please his Grinch friend. Cindy Lou Who is the most charming out of all the installments, with a subplot dedicated to her own Christmas endeavors. She is pure, endearing, and a heartwarming aspect of the Seuss installment. New characters, like Fred the reindeer and Mr. Bricklebaum, add an extra dose of hilarity and compassion to the film and round out the traditional collection of characters.

A shining aspect of “The Grinch” is its stellar animation. With bright colors, attention to detail, and holiday decorations galore, the film is visually stunning. Unlike some CGI overloads, the marvelous animation adds creative flair and brings the characters and Whoville to life. From the way the characters are drawn, to the various winter settings, to the holiday decor, every scene grabs the viewer’s attention.

The essence of the film is of course the time-honored storyline of an outcast who sets out to steal Christmas from the Whos, but it comes to life in the most fantastical manner yet. Giving background to why the Grinch loathes Christmas helps the audience empathize with the grouchy green Grinch, and dedicating a plotline in the film to Cindy Lou Who develops a previously important but briefly-introduced character who manages to steal some of the spotlight. “The Grinch” does not reinvent the story by any means, but new additions and a few original twists and turns breathes new life into the classic film.

As a whole, “The Grinch” is a must-see this holiday season. It may not be completely original, but its splendid animation, heartwarming, classic tale, and lively, enduring characters make “The Grinch” undeniably fun.

Hayley Lynch, Staff Writer

First-year journalist, class of 2019, and proud owner of a Shih Tzu. Perpetually catching up on sleep. Loves the holiday season, painting, and baking competition...

1 Comment

One Response to “You’re a Success Mr. Grinch!”

1. Kaitlin D'Souza on December 12th, 2018 2:08 pm

I saw the Grinch on Monday and it was such a good movie! I totally loved the animation and the landscapes were so beautiful. This is a great review!

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• You’re a Success Mr. Grinch!

A & E

Lamplight Lounge: An Enlightening Experience

• You’re a Success Mr. Grinch!

A & E

Death Race for Love: Hip Hop Album of the Year?

• You’re a Success Mr. Grinch!

A & E

LSD’s Musical Masterpiece

• You’re a Success Mr. Grinch!

A & E

“Dumplin”

• You’re a Success Mr. Grinch!

A & E

The Final Table

• You’re a Success Mr. Grinch!

A & E

Swingin’ in Vienna: A Spinning Success

• You’re a Success Mr. Grinch!

A & E

“Arctic:” A More Suspenseful Take on the Survival Genre

• You’re a Success Mr. Grinch!

A & E

Quinn XCII’s Masterful Album, “From Michigan With Love”

• You’re a Success Mr. Grinch!

A & E

“Mamma Mia” Graces the IHS Theatre

• You’re a Success Mr. Grinch!

A & E

“Mamma Mia” Takes It All

The Student News Site of Issaquah High School
You’re a Success Mr. Grinch!