Girls’ C-team Secures Convincing Victory against Mt. Si 6-1

Ryan Carragher, Staff Writer

Issaquah girls’ C team soccer won their game 6-1, after losing their lead just before half. It was evident that Coach Jansen and players alike were frustrated with their lack of concentration to finish out the first part of the game. The team came out strong after halftime, putting forward their best effort after they conceded a goal late into the first half. Sophomore forward Erin Schobbe and freshman Harper Frye led the team, with Schobbe scoring twice and Frye scoring once and assisting two more to help the team score five goals in the second half. The game was fun to watch, as the passion of both the girls and the coach alike helped them win and maintain their position at second place in the league table, only one point behind Skyline with three games in hand. Having outscored their opponents by 39 goals, the C-team’s offense is one of the deadliest in the league.

After the game, when asked about the half-time talk, Coach Nicole Jansen said, “I let the girls do most of the talking at half-time. I didn’t need to say much. [The girls] were frustrated at the score and knew something had to change.” Including the aforementioned halftime talk was mention of leaders on the field, where Jansen jumped in and said, “Sarah, Maddy, Erin, and Grace are all captains of the team, and lead the girls and do a great job of it.” Jansen and the captains evidently inspired the team, as they came back incredibly quickly to beat Mount Si by five goals.

Arguably the player of the match, sophomore Erin Schobbe, when asked about her performance, said that “it felt good to win the game, as we are coming off of a loss to Skyline. There was a lot of pressure to compete and do well.” Her work rate on and off the ball proved fruitful, as she added two goals to her season tally. Freshman Harper Frye, another eligible player of the match with her goal and two assists, said that “at halftime, the captains were telling the entire team about how we all knew we could play better than we had in the first half, and that we should be competing at a higher level,” which the girls proved in their five unmatched goals in the second half of the game